Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Mozilla Firefox, Thunderbird and SeaMonkey
Ben

Re: Allowing acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Post by Ben »

Kind of disappointed by the pretty obvious sell out of ADP. Sad.
wtf

Post by wtf »

Ogal Finklestein wrote: To add to what Anti-Ad said, if content providers are using websites to generate revenue via ads, then I think they should get real jobs. Again, I run my own webserver, free of ads, and I provide my content for FREE (novel idea, eh?). How do I make money then? Working as a SysAdmin for a University. There's no duplicity in my position; I'll always do my best to block the tracking and the advertising AND provide free information to the 'Net to those who read my information.
The thing is adblock was great when it was just us techies using it but its not like that anymore, its spreading. I see sites having issues with infected ads, someone posts 'I'm getting a virus warning' someone else says 'install adblock' and countless people install it, rinse and repeat.

Ads did go too far, but we need them, without them most sites couldn't survive. We just need them to be harmless and less intrusive ...
penguin

Post by penguin »

How do I turn off Goodle ads in Facebook again??? Please ???

Blocking unacceptable advertising did not help. I find this extremely annoying.
Akbhar

Post by Akbhar »

Hello.

First of all I would like to thank Mr. Palant and all others involved in this project for their work and efforts. Until now ADP was a great product, that had a very big impact on the browsing experience. For me, ADP is the first add-on of every installation of Firefox I make (on my PC, on my Android phone, on my family members computers). It allows me to get rid of the ads (especially annoying ones) and also remove/hide page components I don't want to see.

I understand that it's the content providers right to get money from their sites via ads, but I would like to have the right to select the type of ads I see and where to see them. ADP filtering (block lists/exception lists) works great. Blocking rules list subscriptions are a great way for the less tech savvy users to filter the content, them trusting the maintainers that will be unbiased in their work.

Having 'acceptable ads' as a hidden subscription it's not something I like. A better solution would have been having a subscription list with exceptions for those ads, and users will subscribe or not to it.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

@wtf:
Please go on AMO and read the introduction for Adblock Plus, it states:
"Adblock Plus allows you to regain control of the internet and view the web the way you want to."

Everything here is about WHO DECIDES and WHO IS IN CONTROL.
The "acceptable advertisement" concept means somebody at Adblock Plus decides which advertiser "deserves" to be Adblock Plus "partner" and then control what ads are whitelisted and displayed on the user's browser. And this does not depend on people willing to support the Internet through advertisement, it depends on people being oblivious and misinformed.

So the above statement should be changed in:
"Since people don't care of being in control of the internet and don't deserve it either, they don't not need the old Adblock Plus. Here comes Adblock Plus 2 which provides them the totally automated [acceptable internet]."
noadsplz

Post by noadsplz »

What happens when I set extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_exceptionscheckbox preference to false?

I unchecked the box.

Then I went to about:config and set the above to false.

What am I supposed to see now?
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

Nothing. You see the "acceptable advertisement" subscription only if you have enabled the option and then downloaded the whitelist.
I guess you can check what filters are actually in place by opening (with notepad) the files in "adblockplus" directory inside Firefox profile.
nowayout

Post by nowayout »

Meh. I opted out. As long as it stays that way, it's not a huge deal to me (yet). But it should've been an opt-in process as that is the only ethical way to do it. If something can't be done ethically, then don't do it. Especially when that something is contrary to blocking ads. That's the social contract you sign with your users.

But whatever. They've done the deed and are attempting to leverage their popularity to elect them$elve$ the arbiter of what "acceptable" ads are. (Acceptable being whoever pays, of course.) Good luck with that. A silly notion coming from ad blocking software, with ADBLOCK in the name no less. We USA folks have a term for that, called jumping the shark. I digress.

What I don't like is the redundant ABP icon that was added to my toolbar that can't be removed by any easily accessible means. How does one go about removing that?
Last edited by nowayout on Thu Dec 15, 2011 12:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.
LorenzoC

Post by LorenzoC »

On Firefox you can customize the toolbar in the usual way, by right clicking on it and "customize".
You can drag icons in - out, select the size and reset to default settings.
Firefox also has got the optional "addon bar" in the bottom, same as above.
nowayout

Post by nowayout »

Thanks. For some reason it wasn't working the normal way before. After restarting it seems to work again.
Threlly

Post by Threlly »

As a long standing and dedicated ABP user I had to join the forum and post my views.
I installed Firefox on a friends PC this morning and as with every other install, my first port of call is to install ABP.
This is to block ALL ads.

I have seen the new version and the changes.

1. I will now only install the old versions.
2. I will actively seek a new solution.

Software designed to BLOCK something should always make any changes that
INCLUDE the blocked element OPT-IN.
To be OPT-OUT is a betrayal of the whole ethos, and very very suspicious.
penguin

Opting out of acceptable ads in Adblock Plus

Post by penguin »

Can someone please tell me how to opt out again of "acceptable ads"?
I now see unwanted advertising on facebook and other websites.

Thank you.
Till
ABP CEO

Post by Till »

penguin wrote:Can someone please tell me how to opt out again of "acceptable ads"?
I now see unwanted advertising on facebook and other websites.
Just click on the ABP icon and "Filter preferences", there you'll find the checkbox to disable the feature. Btw, the "acceptable ads" feature is not responsible if you see ads on Facebook, updating your filters will most likely solve it.
penguin

Post by penguin »

Thank you.

I already unchecked the "acceptable ads" checkbox but still see ads on Facebook. How do I update my filters?
JD

Post by JD »

I unchecked the "Allow non-intrusive advertising" box in the filter preferences, then I restarted my browser and tried to watch a YouTube video. I was met with a 30 second ad. I re-opened my filter preferences to find that the "Allow non-intrusive advertising" box had re-checked itself, so I unchecked it again. I then opened the about:config page and set the extensions.adblockplus.subscriptions_exceptionscheckbox to false. I restarted my browser again, then tried to watch another video. Once again, I was met with the same 30 second ad.

I have done the same thing five times now and it still doesn't work.

These ads at the beginning of videos is the main reason I installed ABP. This is getting extremely annoying, and I have no way to block the ads. I consider these ads that force you watch them pretty intrusive.

Either tell me a way to block the ads that actually works, or I will find a different ad blocker that actually blocks ads.