Blocks Everything Including my gmail!

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
RiversideGuy

Blocks Everything Including my gmail!

Post by RiversideGuy »

Started a week or three ago, I was having all sorts of troubles loading gmail. I would get hung up trying to load common sites like facebook or the NYTimes. Chrome was always displaying a message at the bottom of the window that it was "Waiting for AdBlockPlus..." It has gradually gotten worse and worse, so today I can not reach ANY sites, nor my gmail account. Turned it off and boom, I can reach e-mail AND various websites (I have wired broadband, 200mb/s, so that isn't an issue). Of course, NOW I am getting adds in my e-mail!
mapx

Re: Blocks Everything Including my gmail!

Post by mapx »

Try deleting all your custom filters, could be a wrong filter
RiversideGuy

Post by RiversideGuy »

Never set any custom filters, unless you count 2-3 sites that I had to stop it from blocking as the sites would not function with an adblocker. I can take a look...
RiversideGuy

Post by RiversideGuy »

So I tried turning it back on... result... trying to get my gmail, "Waiting on extension AdBlock Plus..." Try to access THIS page, same thing. Turned it off, relaunched Chrome, boom both pages work as intended. Ohhh, I get at least 2 ads in e-mail now!
mapx

Post by mapx »

Try a completely new profile in chrome, then reinstall ABP
RiversideGuy

Post by RiversideGuy »

Hmmm, I see nothing about a profile, do you mean "person?" Currently, it is also my google account, so giving THAT up, as well as things like hundreds of passwords is simply not something I am willing to do because of a misbehaving extension (assuming I can export all my bookmarks and bring them back organized like they are now). All my "stuff" is also synced with a tablet I get a lot of use out of. Running without adblock is like I went from dial-up style to broadband, I didn't realize how bad it was affecting me these past months... it started slowly but gradually built up until I was almost 100% blocked.
mapx

Post by mapx »

If you create a new profile you can connect it to the same account used previously.
Or you can reset chrome and reinstall ABP.

Or ... disable ABP and try uBo (ublock origin) => advanced adblocker
RiversideGuy

Post by RiversideGuy »

While stopping using ADBlock Plus did help, problems continued. Because the information I had was limited to what Chrome spit back at me (other apps mostly said "no internet"), it was still clear the issue was DNS. Tried changing my OS DNS calls to google's dns...didn't change much. Then dug into the cnfg of my modem/router. Hmm, it was 100% locked to my ISP's servers. Remembered the last couple of times I reached out to them, I got a REAL network tech who REALLY knew what they were talking about (and not a heavily accented guy from Bangalore). The girl patiently listened to me recital and suggested that I need a factory reset. I remembered 8 months ago, I also had some issues that did get solved with a factory reset. Sure enough, boom, I was back operating as I expected. Re-enabled AdBlock and so far, no issues like I had been having.

Now, the why still eludes me, somehow I don't think I should be needing frequent factory resets, but at least I am back up and running AND the next time I see issues, boom, rectory reset.
slimpt

Post by slimpt »

I'm also getting problems when I'm using the adblock plus with gmail, with the adblock gmail disconnects and start to slow down every tab from google chrome. After I've add a exception only for gmail everything works well.

Please fix this asap, is getting annoying.
richarddouglas

Post by richarddouglas »

I facing the same problem. I did all procedures and nothing helps.
You guys have other suggestions?
mapx

Post by mapx »

Did you try only uBo ? (ddisabling ABP). Just to understand if there is the same behaviour.
Dougcuk

Post by Dougcuk »

There appears to be a problem with the Google Login pages that is causing a lockup when AdBlock Plus attempts to check the page.
Add website url "accounts.google.com" (without the quote marks) to the "Whitelisted Websites" in the ABP Options
You need to do this before you attempt to access any google services (close all Gmail or Google Login pages and open something else).

Also you can't use the "Disable on this site" option as everything locks when the browser hits the Google Login page
This has solved the problem for me.
slimpt

Post by slimpt »

mapx wrote:Did you try only uBo ? (ddisabling ABP). Just to understand if there is the same behaviour.
I've tried with only ubo and is working well, is a bug from adblock plus and I want a fix asap.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Vitruvius

Post by Vitruvius »

I have same problem, only started this morning. "Waiting for Adblock Plus" appears at bottom of screen while Chrome freezes. Restarting Chrome briefly cures it, but the problem returns as soon as I open a second tab. Chrome works fine in incognito mode, suggesting it's a problem with Adblock or some other extension. Other browsers like Firefox and Edge working fine (they don't have any extensions).

I disabled Adblock in Chrome and the problem went away. Have added uBo as an alternative (as suggested in other posts). Problem has not returned so far.