Many media sites still as to turn off ABP after whitelisting

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
gfwalker

Many media sites still as to turn off ABP after whitelisting

Post by gfwalker »

I'm a relatively new ABP user, about 3 months. So far MANY media sites that I visit still ask to turn off ABP even after it is turned off/whitelisted. Today's example is https://www.sacbee.com. I have tried Shannon's (ABP Support Desk) suggestion to set Chrome to allow popups, and it didn't make any difference (it was already set to "Allow (default)"). Currently I only use Chrome. The only solution I see is to stop using ABP, which I'm not happy about, because in terms of blocking ads, it works exceptionally well. I've searched for this problem in the Forum and have not found a solution.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Many media sites still as to turn off ABP after whitelisting

Post by greiner »

Various media sites may use the same code for detecting ad blockers. There isn't any ad blocker detection solution out there that works reliably though, so can you try temporarily disabling/uninstalling Adblock Plus via the browser settings to check whether the sites still think that you're using an ad blocker?

Because there are various things (e.g. network issues, anti-virus software, VPNs, ISPs, other extensions, browser settings) that could lead to a site thinking and claiming that you're using an ad blocker, even if you don't. So if they mistakenly claim that you're using an ad blocker even after you disabled/uninstalled Adblock Plus, the problem seems to be on their end and you may want to report this problem to them so that they can fix it.