Compounding problems. In case any one else has this.
In trying to fix this, I had added a bunch of filters for the adds. Then at some point Gmail would not load. Forgetting I added the rules, I could not figure out why it would not load. So I disabled ABP.
Fast forward some period of time. I look over and those pesky ads are bugging me. SO I add a bunch of filters to get rid of them. No luck. Then I realize O wait, ABP is disabled for gmail.
You can see it was a vicious cycle.
Removed all custom Gmail filters and enabled ABP on the page and updated filter. Everything works great now.
Good luck. Hopefully your smarter than me and don't have this problem to start.