lewisje's experimental stuff

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
lewisje

Re: Webrequest

Post by lewisje »

I've found that it's a bit annoying to see a simple "about:blank" in the address bar when the main document has been blocked (my custom builds, unlike ABP, allow filters with no type specifiers to block the main document), so I've reverted that behavior to the ABP standard by sending "cancel:true"; this means that you should still see the blocked URL in your address bar and you'll see the standard "blocked by an extension" message.

It seemed preferable to rolling my own, returning something like

Code: Select all

{redirectUrl:"data:text/html,<!doctype html><head><title>Blocked by Adblock Plus</title></head><body><p>Navigation to the URL "+details.url+" has been blocked by Adblock Plus because it matched one of your filter subscriptions or custom filters; if you believe this was in error, please check your custom filters and contact the subscription authors.</p></body></html>"}
which would still have the problem (which redirecting to about:blank has) of conflicting with ScriptSafe (which occasionally blocks the main document when it is not trusted, although usually it just keeps scripts, including inline scripts, from being run, while letting the rest of the document load).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
lewisje

Re: Webrequest

Post by lewisje »

I went ahead and reverted behavior on the main document to what ABP does, because allowing filters to block navigation in the address bar resulted in too many false positives; also, I'm disappointed that Opera doesn't allow Chrome-style extensions installed from outside the Chrome Extension Store to auto-update. (Should I release parallel OEX builds perhaps?)
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
lewisje

Re: lewisje's experimental stuff

Post by lewisje »

Soon the experimental builds in this thread, like the regular dev builds of ABP, will be unavailable on the Stable or Beta channels for Windows users: https://groups.google.com/a/chromium.or ... kq_U63oPMJ

Here is the broader announcement: http://blog.chromium.org/2013/11/protec ... cious.html

EDIT In anticipation of this change, I've gone ahead and set the "prodminversion" in both the update XML file and the manifest.json file to 33.0, the current major release of Chrome Dev and Canary; I should probably also declare some experimental permission like "declarativeWebRequest" so you still won't be able to install it even if Beta and Stable make it to 33 before I refresh the builds.
lewisje

Re: lewisje's experimental stuff

Post by lewisje »

I just found this even shorter blank.swf file, only 27 bytes:

data:application/x-shockwave-flash;base64,RldTBRsAAAAwCgCgABQDAEMC////QABAAAAA
I'll be sure to notify the pixelserv/nullserv people about this.

EDIT It looks like they found an even shorter one, only 25 bytes:

data:application/x-shockwave-flash;base64,RldTBRkAAAAwCgCgAAEBAEMC////QAAAAA==
This is also a useful resource for the small stuff: https://github.com/mathiasbynens/small