Why use adblock plus over ublock?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
cooperb21

Why use adblock plus over ublock?

Post by cooperb21 »

Longtime user but im wondering what is point or what is adblock plus better at since ublock seems do same thing but take less resources...
lewisje

Re: Why use adblock plus over ublock?

Post by lewisje »

ABP is more user-friendly, and I think it also tells you which filters are causing resources to be blocked or hidden (or maybe only AdBlock does that last thing); also, μBlock does not support regex filters, in case those are important (this is a major reason it's so resource-efficient), and I don't think it supports $sitekey (only used in the Acceptable Ads initiative).

I've used μBlock ever since I heard about it, about a month ago.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.

Post by Guest »

lewisje wrote:μBlock does not support regex filters, in case those are important (this is a major reason it's so resource-efficient.)
No, it's not the reason at all, let alone "major". You may be confusing "not using regex internally" (helps performance) with "regex-based filters not implemented" (there are only 11 such filters in EasyList+EasyPrivacy+Fanboy Social and all specific to one domain, i.e. can be implemented efficiently).
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Actually, µBlock is more comparable to Disconnect than to Adblock Plus since µBlock's primary focus is not on adblocking (quote: "My main goal with µBlock is to help users neutralize as much as can be privacy-invading apparatus"). An important thing to consider when looking at stats is that blocking more doesn't necessarily mean blocking the right things. You can find more details about this in the technical discussion at issue #488.

Apart from that we are constantly working on ways to improve the overall performance of Adblock Plus.
LyleS

Post by LyleS »

I prefer Ublock over Adblock Plus for one reason: A significant portion of conventional Internet advertising streams including those paying for white listing with Adblock plus are inadvertantly delivering malicious content. Ad-blocking is not just a page layout convenience, it is a necessity. There is no such thing as a trusted advertising source so long as custom content delivery is a permitted part of that service and they must not gain access to the browsers they target. Ublock is just one tool for reducing risk and it does to a greater degree than Adblock Plus.
mapx

Post by mapx »

You can disable the acceptable ads.
including those paying for white listing with Adblock plus are inadvertantly delivering malicious content
-only some are paying (large corporations) for acceptable ads
-which ones (from the acceptable ads list) are malicious ?
UserXY

Post by UserXY »

ublock is faster. You don't really notice in normal situations, but in the case you get 100+ element blocks on 1 website my browser runs smooth with ublock but not so much with adblock plus.
samiahussain

Post by samiahussain »

I am using adblock Plus in chrome and Firefox, but some time i face this issue that all click ads start showig on every website I open Specially on my own Website http://rightjobs.pk. I also start seeing a small downward arrow on all text field , Can some one check and tell me why I am facing this issue and also how to block New Tool bars to automatically install in my browser.
mapx

Post by mapx »

samiahussain wrote:I am using adblock Plus in chrome and Firefox, but some time i face this issue that all click ads start showig on every website I open Specially on my own Website http://rightjobs.pk. I also start seeing a small downward arrow on all text field , Can some one check and tell me why I am facing this issue and also how to block New Tool bars to automatically install in my browser.
scan your system for malware / adware
use malwarebytes antimalware (free version) ==> https://www.malwarebytes.org/
and adwcleaner http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/download/adwcleaner/
dusk

Post by dusk »

Don't use Adblock over uBlock.
Simply because its fast, resource efficient and doesn't have "Acceptable Ads".
Even if we can disable acceptable ads, its not disabled by default. I wouldn't have given up on Adblock had "Acceptable Ads" option would have been disabled by default.
damnnative

ABP vs uBO

Post by damnnative »

I don't understand what uBlock Origin is doing that ABP isn't but it works. I get zero ads. Not even the random generated ones. But with ABP I get ads, pops ups, you name it, and its much worse on Chrome.

Why? Am I doing something wrong or what...
smed79

Re: ABP

Post by smed79 »

Have you try to report these sites where the ads are not blocked by ABP ?
damnnative

Re: ABP vs uBO

Post by damnnative »

This site is notorious for finding ways around ad blockers but its not the only one, http://the-watch-series.to

I've seen threads here about it and I've followed instructions on adding all the suggested filters but they just don't work for me.

I've been using uBO for the last two days just to see what the difference is and I've not had any ads, not a single one, popup or otherwise.
mapx

Post by mapx »

lewisje

Post by lewisje »

damnnative wrote:I don't understand what uBlock Origin is doing that ABP isn't
You might not understand all of these things, and I might have forgotten some of the key things that uBlock Origin does and ABP doesn't: I'm not creator Raymond Hill or any of the other developers; I'm just a prolific contributor to the GitHub Issues for the project and the related uAssets repository (for the special uBO-specific filter-lists).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.