Not letting me block ads

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
JtheGM

Not letting me block ads

Post by JtheGM »

So I've been using adblock for a while now. I mainly block ads just because they are an eyesore. But recently some websites have had ads on them that I can't block for some reason. The two ways this is happening is 1: I will right click the ad and go down to "Block Element" but then instead of a window popping up to ask me to add a filter nothing happens and the ad won't go awway. Or 2: I'll right click the ad and there won't even be an option to block it. Although this mainly happens with border ads, or ads that are on both sides of the website, sort of like widescreen mode on a TV but with ads. I can't really find a website that has ads that have the first problem I described cause the ads come and go, but here is the URL for one of the websites with the border ads http://teamfourstar.com/category/shows/ . By the way. When I usually get on that website, the sides of the screen are just part of the websites background art, but suddenly today those WoW ads are there and they are really distracting.
Last edited by JtheGM on Sun Nov 16, 2014 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
mapx

Re: Not letting me block ads

Post by mapx »

1.when you'll find a site like this post here your example.
2.anyway, you have also the possibility to use the "block element" feature (click ABP icon, click "block element", then choose an area / element in the page and a hiding filter will be create)

For the example you posted:
-it's about background images : follow the steps:
a.right click an area on the page
b.inspect element ==> developer tools window
c.in the developer tools window click resources tab
d.expand "frames", expand (teamfourstar.com), expand images ==> see the images one by one ==> you'll find the background image:
http://traffic.fenixm.com/files/WoD_Tea ... r-Skin.jpg

now create a filter to block it (or similar):

Code: Select all

||fenixm.com/files/*Skin*.jpg
e.now, the background image is gone, but ... if you hover the mouse over that area (where the image was) that zone is still ...clickable
What to do ? In this case (not always unfortunately) you can:

click ABP icon, click "block element", select (hover the mouse over the left clickable area), click it ==> a hiding filter will be created:

teamfourstar.com###leftColumn
the same for the right side:

teamfourstar.com###rightColumn
Now, the areas are not clickable anymore

So, in the end you have 3 filters for that site:

JtheGM

Post by JtheGM »

Thank you! It worked perfectly!
JtheGM

Post by JtheGM »

Hi. New banner ads are back on that website, but now I cant get rid of them like I did the old ones! I went through the process step by step, but when I go to inspect the element and get to "images" under the site resources, the banner ad's images are not there!
mapx

Post by mapx »

the same filters are still working fine (I added one more filter but it does not matter ...)

||teamfourstar.com/wp-content/themes/*bg*.jpg
You don't see the side ads in resources ...because they are blocked by that filter ( ||fenixm.com/files/*Skin*.jpg )
JtheGM

Post by JtheGM »

I re-entered the old filters and they worked. I'm not sure why I needed to do that. But thank you!
Also. The images are gone but they are still clickable. I keep trying to block them manually like with the other ads, but no luck.
mapx

Post by mapx »

no clickable areas here ...

-clear cookies + cache
-reset your chrome: https://support.google.com/chrome/answe ... 4?hl=en-GB
-reinstall ABP: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... fddb?hl=en
-add those custom filters