Block ads that use JS eventListeners

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
luchillo17

Block ads that use JS eventListeners

Post by luchillo17 »

So the situation is this, i've come to deal with some ads that install eventListeners on the 'document' DOM Node, such event listener creates a link tag, asociates the url, sets the target to '_blank', appends somewhere in the document, triggers the event programatically and then removes the a tag so it cannot be used to block the add with this extension.

As expected, on click anywhere in the page it sends the user to a new tab when we didn't clicked in any ad related tag.

The event in question shows like this image:

If you look at the click event listeners, the ones that start with 'VM' are the ones responsible for such intrusive ad strategy, any idea how to block them from this extension?
lewisje

Re: Block ads that use JS eventListeners

Post by lewisje »

VM has something to do with V8 internals, not something specific to the page.

You might want to switch to uBlock Origin for this purpose, because it has a system of redirect resources to deal with tricks like what that page uses; additionally you may wish to install uBlock Origin Extra, which patches WebSockets and contains a couple more workarounds that for some reason had to be split out of the base extension.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.