Block specific tlds

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
elharko

Block specific tlds

Post by elharko »

As I am sure you guys know, Practically every webpage ending in things like .win .pro .download etc.. is almost always shady/spammy if not malware.

I would love to have a filter that basically makes it so attempting to load ANYTHING from asdfasdf.win or subdomain.asdfasdf.win would be blocked.

Is this possible with ABP? I see this as both stopping ads and also stopping malware from possibly infecting my machine.
lewisje

Re: Block specific tlds

Post by lewisje »

Try this set of filters:

Code: Select all

*$domain=win
||win^
||win^$popup
win##*
The first one should block all content loaded from any page on a site with a .win domain; the second should block all content loaded from .win sites, regardless of where the page is; the third should prevent popups to .win sites from opening; the last one should hide all elements on any page on a .win site.

In uBlock Origin, you should just be able to use ||win^$document to keep pages on .win sites from loading; ABP does not support such strict-blocking as a matter of policy.

What I don't know, and can't be bothered to check right now, is whether uBlock Origin or ABP really does support blocking or hiding based on TLDs like that, or whether it requires at least a second-level domain for a domain-based rule to work.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

Re: Block specific tlds

Post by mapx »