Can't uninstall on OS X?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
WizardR

Can't uninstall on OS X?

Post by WizardR »

For the last few months, my mac has been blocking ads on chrome and safari, but I never installed the extension. I ran malwarebytes (which said my computer was fine) and looked to see if I downloaded anything related to adblock, but didn't find anything. I also tried disabling all my extensions, switching to incognito, and using different browsers, but ads are still blocked. I'm fine with this, but some websites force me to turn off adblock – which I can't. How can I disable it?
WizardR

Re: Can't uninstall on OS X?

Post by WizardR »

That is a windows application - I am on OS X. I don't think this is caused by a virus, either.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

WizardR wrote:That is a windows application - I am on OS X. I don't think this is caused by a virus, either.
That looked like one of the many spam posts these forums get.

Anyway, you might have something like an ad-blocking HOSTS file on your system, or something in your router that blocks certain domains.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
WizardR

Post by WizardR »

I'll look into that...thanks for the info!
WizardR

Post by WizardR »

That fixed it! I edited my HOSTS file years ago to block ads on spotify and forgot about it. Thanks for the help :)