Fomatting problem on some sites with Adblock enabled

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
j343

Fomatting problem on some sites with Adblock enabled

Post by j343 »

I first noticed this problem on MSN. With Adblock enabled, MSN would render with the wrong font size. Specifically, a font about two or three times the optimal size. It's as if some CSS used by the whole page is being blocked along with an ad. The problem exists on most the Ziff Davis sites such as PCMag, ExtremeTech, Toolbox, and others. If you try the links at the bottom of any of those site, you can reproduce this problem. MSN seems to be OK as of a few days ago. With most of the others, the page renders incorrectly if Adblock is enabled, just fine (except for the presence of ads ;-) if it is disabled. This problem doesn't seem to exist in IE.
mapx

Re: Fomatting problem on some sites with Adblock enabled

Post by mapx »

Post example links for the sites where it happens that issue.
j343

Post by j343 »

Code: Select all

https://www.extremetech.com/

https://www.pcmag.com/

http://it.toolbox.com/

https://www.everydayhealth.com/
mapx

Post by mapx »

I get no issue apparently.
You should disable all other extensions and keep only ABP for the test.
Use only easylist (and disable all your custom filters).
Could you upload screenshots (with / without ABP) for the same page ? Use imgur.com then post here the links.
j343

Post by j343 »

I still have the same problems on three of my computers with all extensions disabled except Adblock Plus. I have several extension on my computer. My wife's computer has only Adblock Plus and Lastpass installed in addition to the Google extensions. On the third computer, there was no extensions installed (except for the default Google extensions).

The third computer was interesting. It is an Intel Stick running Windows 10 Pro. With Adblock installed (not Plus) ExtremeTech would not display correctly with or without Adblock enabled or disabled on the site using Adblock's UI. If it is disabled in Chrome's extension control panel, the site would display correctly. With Adblock Plus, the site displays correctly if Adblock Plus is disabled on the site, and incorrectly if it is enabled, after a refresh, using Adblock's UI.
disabled:

enabled:
j343

Post by j343 »

Any luck reproducing this?
mapx

Post by mapx »

I get no ad and no broken page.
j343

Post by j343 »

I'm using Chrome Version 61.0.3163.100 (Official Build) (64-bit) in Windows 10 x64 Version 10.0.15063, and Adblock Plus Version: 1.13.4. Same?
j343

Post by j343 »

OK. with Chrome 61.0.3163.100 and the current Adblock Plus beta, the problem still exists. However, with the current Chrome beta and the current Adblock Plus beta, the problem does not occur.

The problem exists with the current release versions of Chrome and Adblock Plus. Has it been logged, and is it being tracked for the next release?
mapx

Post by mapx »

You should try chrome portable 61 + ABP, see if still happens.
https://portableapps.com/apps/internet/ ... e_portable

If all is ok should be your current chrome has a corrupt profile.
j343

Post by j343 »

Same problem with Chrome portable and Adblock Plus from the installed from the built-in extensions search.

I don't think there was is a profile problem because I have this problem on three computers and two different profiles.
j343

Post by j343 »

As of today, the problem has begun to appear with the beta versions of Chrome and Adblock Plus as well. The ExtremeTech site appears more or less normally if the page zoom is set to 100%, but at any higher level of zoom, the "ExtremeTech" banner doesn't scale properly if Adblock is enabled. Also, the banner ad is not blocked. Adding a custom blocked element prevents the ad from appearing, but the banner ad div can't be blocked that way, so it appears as an empty block, taking up a lot of space.
mapx

Post by mapx »

Weird .. all fine here (chrome 61 / 62, zoom ON / OFF, top ads already blocked / hidden by easylist)
j343

Post by j343 »

Just checked portable Chrome. Same thing. Banner ad container not blocked, and zoom factor > 100% causes rendering issues. Are you refreshing and/or restarting Chrome each time?