ABP is not blocking ads. "Block element" doesn't work.

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Paquito490

ABP is not blocking ads. "Block element" doesn't work.

Post by Paquito490 »

Hello,

I'd appreciate if someone could help me figure out a potential bug with ABP in Chrome. I am currently using Chrome OS (version 61.0.3163.120). Prior to posting I read this article, forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=21766, and found need to make this post. As it seems, ads on this particular website (https://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2476125,00.asp) will load without a problem, even with Easylist enabled. There are no other extensions causing interference. As it appears, i cannot use the "block element" tool to manually remove the ads too because every time I use the tool, it will open but when once I click "Add" it does nothing. This used to work for me in the past, but it isn't doing anything now. Why is this tool not working and why is ABP having trouble blocking ads?

Thank you
mapx

Re: ABP is not blocking ads. "Block element" doesn't work.

Post by mapx »

There are new modern tricks the advertisers are using out there to inject their ads. Not all of them can be neutralized using the simple hiding filters but sometimes you need to kill the inline scripts used by those sites.
ABP has not implemented such measures / weapons, so in these cases you could give a try to some other adblockers (like uBo - ublock origin).

For the page you are talking about: I cannot reproduce those ads.
nigerianmandingoman

Post by nigerianmandingoman »

Does it here too (

Code: Select all

masteroverwatch com
) I'm beginning to think AdBlock will be useless pretty soon.
utomo

Post by utomo »

I believe ABP will work on this and imprve the product
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

I haven't heard about ABP figuring out how to do some of the things that uBlock Origin does, like blocking inline scripts, or redirecting certain resources to neutralized versions that implement the same APIs.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.