Google search results slow without non-intrusive enabled

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
bengalih

Google search results slow without non-intrusive enabled

Post by bengalih »

I've just upgraded to a much faster computer so much so that any delays I was previously having were likely written off on the very slow machine I was on.
Now however, with a powerful machine I can see that Adblock is the bottleneck.

The issue is that when I first setup this new system I saw that something was strange with my google searches. I was getting a page full of ads at the top of my search results.
My screen is 1920x1080 and yet the entire screen on a search was taken up with ads so that I needed to scroll down almost a full page before I saw my results.
I double checked and saw that Adblocker was indeed on, so I didn't understand this was happening.
I then had a vague recollection that I encountered this issue before and after snooping around a bit in the settings found:

"Allow some non-intrusive advertising"

This rang a bell that I had modified this before, so I went ahead and disabled that setting.
Immediately the annoying ads on the google search page disappeared and yet there was now a noticeable delay when performing any google search.
I would say this was about 2-3 seconds to render the results of the search.

I wasn't having this delay if I turned the intrusive ads back on. Nor was I having it when loading any other pages directly. It seemed just on a google search.
I've had this issue throughout the day and through several reboots over the past few hours.

However, as I write this post I attempted to recreate the issue to get an exact time of the delay and lo and behold there doesn't seem to be one!

Since I've written the post already I'll continue on.... has anyone seen delays like this before? Does adblock route everything through a filtering server somewhere that may perhaps slow things down.

As it is now I'm happy with the speed...but I've done nothing in the configuration since my earlier tests to change it and am concerned the slowness might come back.

Is there any explanation?

thanks.
mapx

Re: Google search results slow without non-intrusive enabled

Post by mapx »

If now is working fine , well, no explanation. Could be eventually some interference with your security software !?
bengalih

Post by bengalih »

mapx wrote:If now is working fine , well, no explanation. Could be eventually some interference with your security software !?
So, I don't have a good explanation as to what went wrong. I built two new Windows 10 laptops (different hardware). Basically nothing installed on either one except Windows and supporting drivers.
A couple of "safe" apps like Chrome, Google Drive, etc.

What I was seeing with Chrome on the one in question was ads at the top of the page similar to what you see if you are not logged into google and do searches....except I was logged in to google.
I was also getting delays with the searches as described. Further testing showed this was actually happening even with the non-intrusive enabled.

The other system was working perfectly fine. I rebuilt the problem system (not due to this issue alone), and now I'm not having any problems.

So - just wanted to say it doesn't look like the problem was Adblock Plus at all, but some unrelated issue.

Thanks for all the blocks!
Guz

Post by Guz »

"... my google searches. I was getting a page full of ads at the top of my search results..."

Hello there,
Please let me know where should I turn "on" (enable) this command to avoid all these text ADS on my Chrome google search. In fact, the first 5 to 8 results are all ADS and sometime between the rest of the search results, there is always one or two extra ADS. Will be not a big issue for me get some delay, but I really would like to remove these ADS from my search results.
Please explain the steps.. Thank you very much in advance!