AdBlock plus updated page always opening

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
vihanga12

AdBlock plus updated page always opening

Post by vihanga12 »

When I open chrome or firefox, every time the adblock plus has been updated page appears!!!!!!!!!!
It's so annoying please fix it.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: AdBlock plus updated page always opening

Post by greiner »

We're currently looking into this because we're hearing reports from various users but are unable to reproduce that issue ourselves.

Therefore it'd be great if you could post which browser versions and operating system you're using and whether your device is managed by your company/school/university/etc. Finally, if you can think of any setting of your browser or operating system or use a tool that interfers with browser settings (e.g. anti-virus programs), please let me know.
johantux

Post by johantux »

I'm not the original poster but I too get the "update" notification page each time I start chrome the first time after a reboot.

Here's my Chrome info:
Google Chrome is up to date
Version 66.0.3359.139 (Official Build) (64-bit)

This machine is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit - but I'm pretty sure it's happening on my Linux Mint box at work and my Windows 8.1 machines there too. Next time it happens on any other machine I'll take note and append the info in this thread.

Anything else you'd like me to collect that may help?
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Thanks for the additional information. We found that, for some users, Chrome has corrupted our extension data and the only way to resolve that is to reinstall Adblock Plus. Unfortunately, it's not clear yet what caused the data corruption to occur because we've only seen its effects when we introduced the new updates page. That means that it could've been around even before that already.

Unfortunately, since there doesn't appear to be any way for us to resolve this issue automatically, with the next update we're going to show a message to people who are experiencing this issue advising them to reinstall the extension (see issue #6599).

I know that's not a very satisfying answer so I'm sorry about the troubles.