"Waiting for extension" BUG - fixed in dev build

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
valsi

Re: Adblock Plus hangs on Gmail after latest windows 10 update

Post by valsi »

It's really strange, like I said it was working fine up to the windows 10 update.

I added @@||mail.google.com^ to white list. No joy...

I'll try disabling apb and use your other suggested adblocker.

I'm now using uBo on the gmail website...so far so good...Can I use both in conjunction for other websites?
thetrumpetshallsound

Post by thetrumpetshallsound »

Having same issue after recent Win 10 update. I can go to the extensions page and turn it off, do what I need to in gmail, then turn it on again and it will usually work until I try to do something else in gmail, then go back, turn it off, rinse, repeat.
mapx

Post by mapx »

No, don't use 2 adblockers. Stick with uBo, it has all you need to navigate safe and without issues.
valsi

Post by valsi »

Ok thanks for your help.
nykusu

Adblock hangs shortly after browser start

Post by nykusu »

Adblock prevents pages from loading via something like "Waiting for Adblock" at the bottom of the page. This happens with all tabs. Pages will not load until Ad Block is uninstalled. Reinstall seems to work as long as not all pages are closed.

Adblock version: 3.4.1

Chrome Version: 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)

Filter list is default for when chrome is installed. I typically uncheck Acceptable ads and Anti-Circumvention the later may or may not help, but have been as it's a new feature.

Looking around on the seems others have noticed the issue on the chrome extension page (a lot of mention of it in the reviews section) as of around Nov 14th. Though I didn't see a bug report in the forums here, so figured I'd make one, though there isn't much to report on.

One possible reason is that I have a large number of tabs that open as soon as I open chrome, one of those tabs might be causing it or perhaps the large amount of tabs.
mapx

Re: Adblock hangs shortly after browser start

Post by mapx »

For the bugs there is the bug tracker
https://issues.adblockplus.org
vinaychawla

Post by vinaychawla »

Agreed, Chrome Version 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit) is hanging while waiting on Adblock Plus extension Version number 3.4.1

Someone needs to look into this ASAP.
taymar

Post by taymar »

I've had this issue too. Pages in Chrome do not load until Adblock is turned off. Hangs at bottom with message saying something like waiting for Adblock to load. Pages will load when Adblock turned off and on again. But after doing that pages load for a few minutes then it goes back to hanging again.

Is this being done by websites as a way to end people using Adblock in the first place? Simply cause the pages to hang forever and not load? It just started doing this yesterday. (Nov 18th)
mapx

Post by mapx »

see if still hanging if:
- disable ABP
- install (other adblocker) uBo (ublock origin)
pveselov

Post by pveselov »

I'm having the same problems, right after upgrading Chrome to 70.0.3538.110 (Official Build) (64-bit).
Seems to reproduce well on GMail pages. No problems if using https://getadblock.com/, at least so far. The page says "waiting for adblock extension", and Task manager shows 99.0% CPU in AdBlock extension. Ending AdBlock process releases the pages and lets them load.
pveselov

Post by pveselov »

Spoke too soon. getadblock.com hangs the same way eventually. Trying uBlock now. Something must have changed in Chrome, whether it's a bug or not. My LastPass extension is also behaving wonky (complaining about network connection being lost), but that may be related to AdBlock as well...
mapx

Post by mapx »

And now test ublock origin, still hanging ?
Jkt

Post by Jkt »

Is anyone actually going to fix this problem? I've been having these same issues for over a week: I'm in the middle of going through my emails and after a minute or so, the browser message says I'm disconnected. I then have to close Chrome and open it again to make Gmail work! I've tried removing and reinstalling the ABP extension but I'm about to remove it for good because this problem is so frustrating.
pveselov

Post by pveselov »

mapx wrote:And now test ublock origin, still hanging ?
uBlock seems to be doing just fine. Haven't seen any issues over few hours, where others didn't last over an hour.
mapx

Post by mapx »

So, it seems to be a AB / ABP bug and not a chrome issue. Stick with uBo.