"Waiting for extension" BUG - fixed in dev build

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
unlikelysource

"Waiting for extension" BUG - fixed in dev build

Post by unlikelysource »

I just did a restart, and I'm getting a "Waiting for extension" message regarding Adblock that prevents me for doing diddley.

I've turned Adblock off for the present, but I'd like to reinstall it ASAP. Any idea what the problem is?

Much obliged
Dougcuk

Re: "Waiting for extension"

Post by Dougcuk »

Do you have a logged in Google Account active on the browser?
I started seeing a browser lockup with error "Waiting for AdBlockPlus Extension" today - whenever the browser attempted to check or initiate a Google Account Login.
I had to add the website url "accounts.google.com" to the "Whitelisted Websites" in the ABP Options which cured the lockup.
There is a recent thread on this forum re this issue.
unlikelysource

Post by unlikelysource »

Thanks, Doug, but I had to remove Adblock just to reply here, after adding "accounts.google.com" to the whitelist.

Oy ..
unlikelysource

Post by unlikelysource »

Thanks, mapx. I'd checked that thread, and installed UBlock, which seems to be working fine.

I don't know squat about it (not that I'm an expert on Adblock), so if there are any issues with it, please feel free to enlighten me.
mapx

Post by mapx »

If you need help with uBo:
https://www.reddit.com/r/uBlockOrigin/

for help with specific uBo filters (popups, anti adblocking):
https://github.com/uBlockOrigin/uAssets/issues

other general issues (needing normal filters):
http://forums.lanik.us/
unlikelysource

Post by unlikelysource »

Thank you kindly
RiversideGuy

gmail?

Post by RiversideGuy »

There seems to be no specific forum for this issue, but it happens inside of Chrome, so I put it here. In another thread, I asked for help with what I FIRST thought was AdBlockPlus hanging me up... BUT it turned out that there was an issue in my router that restored previous behaviors... i.e. not ABP's fault. HOWEVER, during the time I had a workaround (disable ABP) I saw I was getting ads in gmail, something I never ever saw. Once I re-enabled ABP, the ads stopped happening... until the last day or so.

So the question is, does ABP have any effect on e-mail ads in Chrome/gmail? If it does, this is an issue, if not I'd have to look at gmail to find out why this is happening... like I said, my experience DID convince me that ABP also stopped ads in gmail.
mapx

Re: gmail?

Post by mapx »

valsi

Adblock Plus hangs on Gmail after latest windows 10 update

Post by valsi »

System Information
------------------
Time of this report: 11/15/2018, 15:42:25
Machine name: DESKTOP-NMI7KBE
Machine Id: {E445E5AA-133A-4E47-8FCB-8CF9267BC121}
Operating System: Windows 10 Home 64-bit (10.0, Build 17134) (17134.rs4_release.180410-1804)
Language: English (Regional Setting: English)
System Manufacturer: LENOVO
System Model: 90DD00C0US
BIOS: O1ZKT40A (type: UEFI)
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6700K CPU @ 4.00GHz (8 CPUs), ~4.0GHz
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 16336MB RAM
Page File: 11016MB used, 8255MB available
Windows Dir: C:\WINDOWS
DirectX Version: DirectX 12
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
User DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
Miracast: Available, with HDCP
Microsoft Graphics Hybrid: Not Supported
DxDiag Version: 10.00.17134.0001 64bit Unicode

Google Chrome is up to date
Version 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)

AdBlock Plus
Version number 3.4.1

Copyright © 2017 eyeo GmbH.

All rights reserved. Adblock Plus® is a registered trademark of eyeo GmbH.

On 11/14/2018 My windows 10 had an update. I installed it and went to bed. The next day I went to use my gmail on google chrome and got the "waiting for adplockplus" in the lower left hand corner of my screen and couldn't load emails or use any other web pages. They just wouldn't load. I would close my browser and load web pages just fine as long as I didn't try to use gmail.
valsi

Re: Adblock Plus hangs on Gmail after latest windows 10 update

Post by valsi »

I added "accounts.google.com" to the whitelist per instructions, from reading that forum before I posted, and it didn't work. Other things I tried: un/reinstalling adblock plus, and chrome.

Update I tried adding "accounts.google.com" to the whitelist again, and it seems to be working, however the first time I tried to leave the gmail page I got a popup box message saying Are you sure you want to leave this page? Changes might not be saved, and it has 2 choices - leave this page or stay on this page. but after I left the page the pop up box no longer came up.

Second Update: It's not working again, this time I don't get the message "waiting for adblockplus" but when I click on an email message my browser just hangs, and won't respond.

Third update: "waiting for Adblock Plus" in lower left hand corner again.
DrZ

Post by DrZ »

Same here.
I can go awhile with no problems, then everything starts to go bonkers.
Some first symptoms: when I click on a gmail check box, it blurs instead of drawing a check symbol in the block.
I try to reload gmail and it hangs showing a continual busy icon.
I can kill Chrome and restart, but the problem persists unless I first disable Adblock Plus before doing anything else on Chrome. Everything then goes back to more or less normal until it happens again after several hours of Chrome use.
I have tried disabling various filters thinking all was good, then zap ... it happens again after several hours of Chrome use.

Adblock Plus: 3.4.1
Chrome: Version 70.0.3538.102 (Official Build) (64-bit)
DrZ

Post by DrZ »

"I can kill Chrome and restart, but the problem persists unless I first disable Adblock Plus before doing anything else on Chrome. "

Some clarity: I meant to say that I first diaable Adblock Plus, start gmail, then re-enable Adblock Plus.
mapx

Post by mapx »

What if you add:

Code: Select all

@@||mail.google.com^
Alternative: install uBo (ublock origin) and disable ABP. Test it.