Adblock broke if Chrome restart

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Tom Seiber

Adblock broke if Chrome restart

Post by Tom Seiber »

If you install Adblock Plus and you restart Chrome Adblock Plus is broken.
You must reinstall Adblock Plus.
ttjoseph

Re: Adblock broke if Chrome restart

Post by ttjoseph »

Can you elaborate a bit more?

There are some complaints on the Extension Gallery page that ABPC is not effective. I suspect part of it is that the green/red icons are confusing - people don't know which one means "on" - and that there is almost nothing in the supplemental Chrome filters, which were important for AdThwart.
Michael

Post by Michael »

The supplemental filters have been merged with EasyList (https://hg.adblockplus.org/easylist/rev/46257a4eff69); there should be little difference in your browsing experience if using the subscription.
ttjoseph

Post by ttjoseph »

Michael, I see, I wasn't aware. Thanks! Perhaps the complaints are coming from users who are still on an old EasyList that doesn't include the supplemental filters. (I see that revision is about two days old while the EasyList expire time is 5 days.)
Michael

Post by Michael »

It's possible that the filters are the reason for the complaints, but I have to admit that I doubt that it is a widespread cause of issues given that only 25% of the rules were actually transferred to EasyList. The others either belonged in a supplement, were redundant, or were no longer needed on the website on which they were originally required.
ttjoseph

Post by ttjoseph »

Fair enough. Frankly I don't really know what the problem is, as it works fine for me.

Thanks again for merging the filters.
super_fox

Post by super_fox »

they work good for me as well i update them manually when i see them outdated by a few days or so.
paulus

Post by paulus »

1. ABP blocks the advertisement only after reloading the page, immediately Adthwart
2. filter list is displayed in Russian only after reloading the page
3. became crash
4. my filters are gone, but after trying to open the editing appeared
Fix it!

You spoiled Adthwart :-(
--
Chromium 10.0.617.0 (69690) Ubuntu 10.10
paulus

Post by paulus »

ABP broke test http://acid3.acidtests.org/ :FAIL
AdBlock - 2.2.20: OK
paulus

Post by paulus »

return ad-blocking on the fly
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@paulus: I cannot see any issues, neither in Chrome 8 nor in Chrome 10. I hope you aware that Chrome 10 is an early development version and can have issues - for example there appears to be an issue with encoding selection that affects the options page of Adblock Plus. Either way, do you think that throwing your issues into an unrelated topic opened by somebody else is nice?

@Tom Seiber: What does "broken" mean exactly? There weren't all that many changed between AdThwart 1.0.21 and Adblock Plus 1.0.22. One change is that the icon no longer shows up on pages opened from disk and such, only on actual web pages (HTTP/HTTPS protocol) - these are the only pages where Adblock Plus for Chrome has an effect.
Wladimir Palant

From a blog comment:
I use chrome 10.AdBlock plus is installed.Subscription filter list for my region is added.I browse webpages and adds are not blocked.I uninstall ADblock plus
and reinstall again without closing browser.Icon show up in right corner ,start browsing same webpages and adds are blocked this time. Everything is ok.When i close the browser and restart it again the icon from top right is gone and the adds on the same webpages are not blocked anymore.
"Filter list for my region" probably means EasyList and ROList. Unfortunately, the webpage where the issue becomes visible is not mentioned.
Wladimir Palant

Ok, I think that I reproduced that issue in Chrome 10:
Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'subscriptions' of null at FilterListener.jsm line 133
Wladimir Palant

Ok, ROList contains empty filters which is what is causing the issue here (Filter.fromText() returns null). This is probably also why some people cannot see their custom filters.
Fixed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplusc ... 71771b3225
Tom, would be nice if you could review that change.
ttjoseph

Post by ttjoseph »

Makes sense to me. The new version is up.