The Icon

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
blomster

The Icon

Post by blomster »

First of all, let me say I'm very glad ABP is coming to Chrome. Hopefully sharing ABP code across different browser platforms will make filter list creation/management easier and more efficient, and everyone will have better a browsing experience as a result.

But...

The icon! Egads, horror of horrors. Gone is the visual delight that was AdThwart's gleeful little devil beast, continual source of extension management warmth and joy. In its place we are subjected to the dull, flat, poorly kerned rectum of graphic design that is the ABP icon. If it had a flavor, it would taste like pizzalicious Pringles. If it had an odor, it would smell like summertime in New Jersey. In short, right now it's just ugly, but I'm pretty sure it would offend all the senses if given the chance.

Please consider redesigning the icon. Such a fantastic extension doesn't deserve to look so heinous.
Wladimir Palant

Re: The Icon

Post by Wladimir Palant »

We do consider redesigning the icon. In fact, a Mozilla designer promised to do this before Firefox 4 release. So we are waiting...
super_fox

Post by super_fox »

what are they going to make it in to have a idea?
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I think it is going to stay a stop sign - only that it will look better.
super_fox

Post by super_fox »

cool i like the stop sign :)
rebug

Post by rebug »

I really wish we could get something that isn't red. Red just screams "look at me up here" from an icon that doesn't need much attention. I love that Adblock can make the web better in the background, I don't need a big red "everything's OK" button. For now I've hidden the button because from the corner of my eye it looks a lot like Google Mail Checker Plus is telling me I have mail.

Red is a fantastic color for errors or other important information, but not for this.
blomster

Post by blomster »

Great to hear a redesign is in the works! And especially that one of Mozilla's designers will be handling it, should turn out nicely.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

rebug wrote:I really wish we could get something that isn't red. Red just screams "look at me up here" from an icon that doesn't need much attention. I love that Adblock can make the web better in the background, I don't need a big red "everything's OK" button. For now I've hidden the button because from the corner of my eye it looks a lot like Google Mail Checker Plus is telling me I have mail.

Red is a fantastic color for errors or other important information, but not for this.
I keep the icon in the status bar (but not the toolbar) so that I can easily disable it on sites where it obviously causes problems (like checking up on a Microsoft Advertising account).