Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome

Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby fanboy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 2:07 am

I've been playing with the AdblockPlus for Chrome extension (1.0.24.583), and I've cleaned up the subscriptions lists (since some people simply ignore requests), This extension will be updated as newer versions are released.

https://secure.fanboy.co.nz/chrome/adblockplus-mod.crx

Image
User avatar
fanboy
 
Posts: 2921
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby super_fox » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 am

is this for developer version fanboy?
super_fox
 
Posts: 52
Joined: Tue Dec 21, 2010 12:03 am

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby fanboy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:58 am

super_fox wrote:is this for developer version fanboy?


For anyone, endusers/developers.. Doesn't act any differently to the normal AdblockPlus for Chrome, just offers a bigger/better range of subscriptions. Though it is a bit sad I had to create such a extension in the first place.
User avatar
fanboy
 
Posts: 2921
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby Michael » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:30 am

Fanboy, are you aware that your subscriptions merely hide content from advertisers rather than actually block it in Adblock Plus for Chrome? Only filters in the form ||example.com^$third-party block content, yet the rules in your subscription tend to omit the third-party option. I suspect that this may have been a reason why only one of your lists is present in Adblock Plus for Chrome.

In terms of listing all of the known subscriptions, Wladimir has already stated his intention to update the extension to include all the data from SubscriptionList, although I suspect that blocking adverts regardless of the filter form is of greater priority.

Out of interest, how do you decide which subscriptions to add to your mod and the order in which they are sorted?
Michael
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby fanboy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 11:57 am

Michael wrote:Fanboy, are you aware that your subscriptions merely hide content from advertisers rather than actually block it in Adblock Plus for Chrome? Only filters in the form ||example.com^$third-party block content, yet the rules in your subscription tend to omit the third-party option. I suspect that this may have been a reason why only one of your lists is present in Adblock Plus for Chrome.


Its actually a lower common denominator, no switches.. seems to work pretty well from what I see.

Michael wrote:In terms of listing all of the known subscriptions, Wladimir has already stated his intention to update the extension to include all the data from Subscription List, although I suspect that blocking adverts regardless of the filter form is of greater priority.


Sure, and I'm fine with that. What I'm not happy is adding new subscriptions (another German sub?) over another a English sub or improving the regional support, and a blatant disregard to anything other than Easy.

Michael wrote:Out of interest, how do you decide which subscriptions to add to your mod and the order in which they are sorted?


No specific order, just (Main,Regional,Supplemental). Order doesn't represent any favorites.
User avatar
fanboy
 
Posts: 2921
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby kotukediserafettin » Wed Dec 29, 2010 8:58 pm

it doesnt block flash advertisement like firefox..
kotukediserafettin
 

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby pirlouy » Wed Dec 29, 2010 9:57 pm

I don't use lists, but I do agree that EasyList is not the only one. So this mod makes sense as long as there is not a known list like fanboy's one.
When I offered to complete EasyList for french sites, I hoped that someone who would do the same for other list. Maybe you should ask for international people to extend list like EasyList's way...
User avatar
pirlouy
 
Posts: 332
Joined: Sat Jun 10, 2006 2:33 pm
Location: France

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby anonymous___ » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:34 am

Why the heck did you do this fanboy? This doesn't provide "choice" - EasyList isn't even an option and almost all the choices were made by you! People can add your subscriptions by their URL in the existing adblock plus, but now you go and make your own version of the extension with a few lines of code changed! And now you're going to have to manually go in and change it for every version. What if a major bug is found in Adblock Plus for Chrome and you're not around to update your version? People will not receive the fix until you make your stupid update. It's obvious they're not added to the official one because there either is a problem with them (e.g. most filters not very compatible with chrome) or the developers haven't had a chance to add them yet! Can you not make a list of your subscription URLs and stop whining that your subscriptions aren't included? /rant
anonymous___
 

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby fanboy » Sun Jan 02, 2011 2:42 am

anonymous___ wrote:Why the heck did you do this fanboy?


Because I can.

anonymous___ wrote:This doesn't provide "choice" - EasyList isn't even an option and almost all the choices were made by you! People can add your subscriptions by their URL in the existing adblock plus, but now you go and make your own version of the extension with a few lines of code changed!


I provides plenty of choice, 16 regional lists. Sure I didn't need to create this subscription, but with the lack of action *and* willing to add other subs.. I decided to take action, really the beauty of Open Source.

And now you're going to have to manually go in and change it for every version.


No biggy, I have the diff file.

What if a major bug is found in Adblock Plus for Chrome and you're not around to update your version?


What if.. Wladmir gets run over by car tomorrow? So many "What if" scenarios.. the subscription gets updated like I said.
User avatar
fanboy
 
Posts: 2921
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby Michael » Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:17 pm

fanboy wrote:
Michael wrote:Fanboy, are you aware that your subscriptions merely hide content from advertisers rather than actually block it in Adblock Plus for Chrome? Only filters in the form ||example.com^$third-party block content, yet the rules in your subscription tend to omit the third-party option. I suspect that this may have been a reason why only one of your lists is present in Adblock Plus for Chrome.

Its actually a lower common denominator, no switches.. seems to work pretty well from what I see.

Your subscriptions are currently not as effective in Adblock Plus for Chrome as they are in Adblock Plus because they only hide items, including scripts, as the filters are not in the required form. This means that the scripts from domains known to exclusively host adverts are still permitted to run on the page, wasting browser resources, and that additional filters may be required in your subscriptions to remove the unwanted generated content.
Michael
 
Posts: 1361
Joined: Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:29 pm

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby Wladimir Palant » Wed Jan 05, 2011 9:25 am

@fanboy: I do not ignore your requests (except when I am on vacation and don't have time to read the forum), I plan to offer the same subscriptions for Chrome as for Firefox - but right now it is pointless given the issue mentioned by Michael. We need to fix the extension core first and make sure it blocks properly, not only for some filters. Then we can improve the user interface. And - no, I don't want to have hardcoded subscription lists there, it should read in https://adblockplus.org/subscriptions.xml just like the Firefox extension.
Wladimir Palant
ABP Developer
 
Posts: 8332
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:59 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby chikimonke » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:52 pm

This is a little off topic, but I wanted to make sure it was seen by fanboy. With the standard fanboy list enabled in AB+ for Chrome, I can no longer use the drop down menu to add a contact to an email I'm composing in gmail. I start typing a name, and suggestions will show up, but no method of selecting the name adds it to the "To:" field. Clicking on To: and trying to add it through that interface also does not work. When I disable that list, everything works fine. This is not an issue in AB+ for FF. (I use the same lists in both browsers) So something is indeed wrong with how your list is being used in chrome. On the flip side, your list does block the ads (which I didn't even know existed until today) at the bottom of e-mails that are being read. If this should just be it's own topic, please feel free to move it as such. Thanks
chikimonke
 

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby Wladimir Palant » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:01 am

@chikimonke: That's most likely the same as http://code.google.com/p/adblock-chinal ... ail?id=380
Tom Joseph told me that this is a long-standing and not really understood issue, there is even a hack to prevent general filters from being applied on Gmail. But in this case the issue was caused by a filter meant only for the google.com domain.

PS: I tried to reproduce - strangely, it works fine for me even when I am subscribed to Fanboy's list.
Wladimir Palant
ABP Developer
 
Posts: 8332
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:59 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby fanboy » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:20 am

If I can get access (via Teamviewer) we can find out which filter is causing it...

chikimonke wrote:This is a little off topic, but I wanted to make sure it was seen by fanboy. With the standard fanboy list enabled in AB+ for Chrome, I can no longer use the drop down menu to add a contact to an email I'm composing in gmail. I start typing a name, and suggestions will show up, but no method of selecting the name adds it to the "To:" field. Clicking on To: and trying to add it through that interface also does not work. When I disable that list, everything works fine. This is not an issue in AB+ for FF. (I use the same lists in both browsers) So something is indeed wrong with how your list is being used in chrome. On the flip side, your list does block the ads (which I didn't even know existed until today) at the bottom of e-mails that are being read. If this should just be it's own topic, please feel free to move it as such. Thanks
User avatar
fanboy
 
Posts: 2921
Joined: Sun Jun 17, 2007 4:45 am

Re: Adblock Plus Mod for Chrome

Postby Wladimir Palant » Thu Jan 06, 2011 10:21 am

@fanboy: After a little more of playing around - it seems that the issue is caused by all filters touching the style attribute (e.g. google.com##foobar>div[style]). Adding ~mail.google.com to these filters should fix it for now.
Wladimir Palant
ABP Developer
 
Posts: 8332
Joined: Fri Jun 09, 2006 6:59 pm
Location: Cologne, Germany

Next

Return to Adblock Plus for Chrome

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests