could ABP block ads before it download?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
tttt

could ABP block ads before it download?

Post by tttt »

In my experience, ABP doesn't support this feature in some filter rule. Does it totally doesn't support this feature in all the rules?Just out of curiosity, when to add this feature?
Michael

Re: could ABP block ads before it download?

Post by Michael »

Adblock Plus for Chrome currently only blocks items filtered by rules in the form ||example.com^$third-party. Wladimir has stated that he intends to resolve this issue as a priority, although he has not currently given a specific version in which this issue will be resolved.
tim1

Post by tim1 »

Hi,

so version 1.1 blocks everything? Does it also block google-analytics.com?

Again, thank you for that awesome work!
NEP

Post by NEP »

It can block google-analytics.com but whether it actually does it depends on what filter subscription you are using. You can create custom filters if you wish. There are limitations to the Chrome browser which prevent ABP from blocking everything - for example object-subrequests cannot be blocked. However, anything that is blocked now is completely blocked from downloading.
Skippermark

Post by Skippermark »

I'm using the latest ABP with the EasyList & EasyPrivacy filters. I'm very new to Chrome and trying to decide between it and FF 4 as my main browser.

Does the setup I'm using download the ads and hide them from view, or does it actually prevent them from downloading? If not, is there a plan to make this happen? Thanks!
Michael

Post by Michael »

Since Adblock Plus for Chrome 1.1 filters can prevent the download of most item types, not including, most significantly, video adverts. This is a limitation of Chrome itself, as I recall, and therefore cannot be easily resolved without alterations to the browser.
Known issues in Adblock Plus for Chrome wrote: Adblock Plus doesn't block in-video ads, background images, XMLHttpRequests

Cause: Google Chrome currently doesn't allow blocking any of these request types

Solution: None. Adblock Plus implements some limited work-arounds that allow blocking in-video ads on youtube.com and background images on the document body. However, for a real solution changes in Google Chrome are required.
Bear in mind that some filters for Adblock Plus are only designed to collapse elements on a page, and therefore do not prevent the downloading of items in either browser.