Will EasyPrivacy & AdBlockRules Work?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Taizong

Will EasyPrivacy & AdBlockRules Work?

Post by Taizong »

I added the EasyPrivacy and AdblockRules to my ABP filters. I don't know if these will mess Chrome up since this is only a beta. Will they do the same thing like in Firefox?
Hubird

Re: Will EasyPrivacy & AdBlockRules Work?

Post by Hubird »

For Chrome you are best off sticking to EasyList only. As for adblockrules I recommend that it NOT be used in Firefox or in Chrome (using the latest dev build of ABP for Firefox nearly 58% on the filters are marked as slow :shock: )
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

AdblockRules looks horribly outdated, considering that the extension it recommends using in Chrome was Adblock+ by Lex1 from the old chromeextensions.org site, while the state of the art is AdBlock by Gundlach (with Adblock Plus by Palant & Joseph up-and-coming), from the official Chrome Extensions site.

A general rule is to only use one general-purpose filter list, and if you use a supplementary list, only use it with the list it's supplementary to, so with EasyPrivacy you should use EasyList, and with Fanboy's Stats you should use Fanboy's list, and so on; AdblockRules actually does have rules for trackers and counters, just not much, and as Hubird said it's not well-constructed and is parsed slowly.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I believe that at present EasyPrivacy is not recommended for the Chrome version of ABP.

See forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=6509&p=40451 ... acy#p40451
Taizong

Post by Taizong »

Ok, so I got rid of adblockrules. But I still have EasyPrivacy on the list (Disabled) and something called, Recommended filters for Google Chrome. I have no idea if that's useful or not.
Michael

Post by Michael »

If you want a subscription to block adverts in Adblock Plus for Chrome you should install EasyList; the recommended filters are minimal and primarily deal with issues that relate to the system, and EasyPrivacy only targets trackers, albeit ineffectively in Google Chrome at the moment.