ABP for Chrome a disapointment, future of ABP

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
tommas

Re: ABP for Chrome a disapointment, future of ABP

Post by tommas »

nice (developer-) build,
it has a great performance boost. most of the sites load much faster and i saw no youtube bugs.
i'm looking forward to next monday!
xxhoosierxx

Post by xxhoosierxx »

Just tested out your updated dev build, and it now performs worse,sadly. :(

Before, the dev build blocked ads, but not backgrounds, yet still loaded very fast.

Now that you updated it to block background ads, it loads slower, as it has to work to hide the background ads. :(

I would rather have background ads stay there(as they aren't annoying), so that the sites load fast, rather than ABP work to hide backgrounds and load slower.

Is there anyway I can have an option to stop ABP from trying to hide background ads, so it can be fast again?

Thanks.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

You are mistaken, this change was absolutely minimal and definitely didn't have an effect on performance (I only fixed a typo, it isn't doing more now than before). You are saying that performance got worse between build 626 and 633 - maybe you can narrow it down a little more by trying the builds on devbuilds/adblockpluschrome/. Or you can tell me how you "measure" performance - maybe I can find a way to measure the exact effect of Adblock Plus then.
xxhoosierxx

Post by xxhoosierxx »

Wladimir Palant wrote:You are mistaken, this change was absolutely minimal and definitely didn't have an effect on performance (I only fixed a typo, it isn't doing more now than before). You are saying that performance got worse between build 626 and 633 - maybe you can narrow it down a little more by trying the builds on devbuilds/adblockpluschrome/. Or you can tell me how you "measure" performance - maybe I can find a way to measure the exact effect of Adblock Plus then.

Hmmmm, maybe I just percieve it as being slower because of the ads hiding. Sorry.

Seeing something load and then hide really bugs me for some reason, is there anyway I can change it back to keeping body backgrounds from being hidden? Thanks.
Wladimir Palant

You can whitelist the background in question so that it isn't being hidden ;)
Sure, if you are looking at a website where the background is being hidden then it can easily affect your perception of ABP's performance.

And - yes, I fully agree that the current solution for backgrounds isn't really useful. I even checked whether Adblock came up with something better - unfortunately not, their solution is even more hacky. So unfortunately this has to stay for now, at least until I can think of something better (or Google improved their browser).
xxhoosierxx

Post by xxhoosierxx »

Wladimir Palant wrote:You can whitelist the background in question so that it isn't being hidden ;)
Sure, if you are looking at a website where the background is being hidden then it can easily affect your perception of ABP's performance.

And - yes, I fully agree that the current solution for backgrounds isn't really useful. I even checked whether Adblock came up with something better - unfortunately not, their solution is even more hacky. So unfortunately this has to stay for now, at least until I can think of something better (or Google improved their browser).
The current dev build is fantastic though, when you think of how limited Chrome's adblocking is compared to FF. Much better than regular adblock. If anyone is going to make a useful Adblock for Chrome its you. Hopefully in the future Chrome allows extensions to do as much as FF lets them. I doubt it though since Google is an ad company, no wonder they won't give you more control. haha
Wladimir Palant

And on that optimistic note - I hope you don't mind if I lock this thread. It's really an annoyance to have a thread with this title bubble up to the top of the threads list all the time ;)

I think that the original question has been answered in full. If you have other questions, would like to bring issues to my attention or anything else - please don't hesitate to create a new forum topic.