Difference to "AdBlock" (no plus) for Chrome?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
pstein

Difference to "AdBlock" (no plus) for Chrome?

Post by pstein »

As far as I can see there is another similar Ad blocker extension for Chrome:

AdPlus (without postfix "plus")

What is the difference?

It seems to me that the advantage of AdBlock (only) is that ít blocks ads even BEFORE the actual download.
AdBlock Plus on the opposite downloads them all before hiding them.

Am I right?

Peter
mapx

Re: Difference to "AdBlock" (no plus) for Chrome?

Post by mapx »

1. adblock (no plus) is very slow
2. adblock plus is blocking ads from downloading. There was an issue about the filters (filters in wrong format were hiding the ads), but now is solved.

waiting the official release, you can use the development build to have all the last improvements
en/development-builds#installation
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

As mapx notes correctly, the most important Adblock Plus issue has been resolved recently - so we are now on par with Adblock as far as blocking quality goes.

For me the most important difference right now is: Adblock Plus uses the same code to work with filters on Firefox and Chrome so there should be no surprises when using filter lists that have been created with Adblock Plus/Firefox in mind. Adblock uses the same filter lists but has occasional problems due to a different code base (most recently - because of the new $donottrack option).

Adblock Plus/Firefox still remains significantly more advanced than Adblock Plus/Chrome, particularly as user interface goes - I will continue to work on that. At the moment you need Firefox if you want to contribute to filter lists. The goal is to offer a fully customizable extension for Chrome as well so that people who want to tweak something themselves can easily do that. "Autopilot mode" on the other hand works pretty well already.
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

Does this mean that rules such as

Code: Select all

||adblockplus.org^
Are now treated the same in Firefox and Chrome (I was under the impression that these sorts of rules were essentially hiding rules in ABP / Chrome)?
Wladimir Palant

Yes, that's what it means. From the look of it, Adblock Plus 1.1 for Chrome (development-builds/adblock-plus-11-for- ... -available) will be released on Monday - and all the weird filters issues should be gone then.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Wladimir Palant wrote:As mapx notes correctly, the most important Adblock Plus issue has been resolved recently - so we are now on par with Adblock as far as blocking quality goes.
Does this mean that in every case in which Adblock would block an ad rather than downloading and hiding, even though an up-front memory cost will be required, Adblock Plus now does this, or does ABP still sometimes sacrifice security for speed?
Wladimir Palant

Adblock Plus now always blocks ads when somehow possible. We only hide the elements that loaded before the tab got the necessary data (usually a rare scenario) and on a few websites that are affected by WebKit bug 45586 - same as Adblock.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Wladimir Palant wrote:Adblock Plus now always blocks ads when somehow possible. We only hide the elements that loaded before the tab got the necessary data (usually a rare scenario) and on a few websites that are affected by WebKit bug 45586 - same as Adblock.
I tried it out and it still works faster and uses less memory than AdBlock; I mean AdBlock uses a little less memory in its own process but it also injects a lot of code into all tab processes, as Gundlach
mentioned at one point, and I'm hoping that that workaround is no longer necessary to achieve maximum blockability.

I now recommend this extension rather than Gundlach's; now to achieve parity, you'll only need to register the abp: pseudo-protocol, as he did, but it's not a big deal because most people just install it and expect it to work out of the box.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Не правильное отображение шрифта в русской версии AdBlock

Post by Не правильное отображение шрифта в русской версии AdBlock »

RU AdList (Р СѓСЃСЃРєРёР№, Українська). Lain_13. Последнее обновление: сегодня в 10:03:08
Wladimir Palant

Зачем писать об ошибках в теме, которая никак с ними не связана? Тем более, что эта проблема как раз обсуждается в другой теме: forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=7174