Any reason why this filter doesn't work on ABP Chrome v1.1?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
milithruldur

Any reason why this filter doesn't work on ABP Chrome v1.1?

Post by milithruldur »

I'm using this filter

Code: Select all

||clients1.google.*/complete/search
to prevent Google search from doing autocomplete. I'm successfully using the said filter in ABP for Firefox, but it seems that there is a different issue when using the same in Chrome.

I understand that before v1.1, ABP for Chrome had limited blocking capability, which has now been rectified with the new release. Any hints on the matter?

RFE: I also understand that Chrome has limited API's for an adblocker to be effective, but does the same hold true for not having an "open blockable items" panel in Chrome? I miss this function from Firefox that allows one to view the requested items on a page. It may be limited, but is it still somehow possible to have such function in Chrome?

/m
Ares2

Re: Any reason why this filter doesn't work on ABP Chrome v1.1?

Post by Ares2 »

Any chance you forgot to disable the whitelist from your subscription that overturns your filter?

EasyList:

@@||google.*/complete/search?$script
Fanboy's list:

@@||google.com.*/complete/search?$~third-party,script
milithruldur

Post by milithruldur »

Ah, I see now. So there's a whitelist that's overriding my filter, and from what I can remember whitelist filters take priority over any other matching filters. I didn't notice this problem in ABP Firefox because I wasn't using EasyList subs nor Fanboy's, only EasyPrivacy.

Now the problem is that there is no option in ABP Chrome that allows disabling individual filters from subs. Or perhaps it is possible by other means that I am not yet aware of?

/m
Hubird

Post by Hubird »

I don't use Chrome but I find it hard to believe that individual filters can not be disabled in it's version of ABP :?
Michael

Post by Michael »

I tested Adblock Plus for Chrome and, as far as I can find, it is not possible to disable subscription filters...
milithruldur

Post by milithruldur »

Hubird wrote:I don't use Chrome but I find it hard to believe that individual filters can not be disabled in it's version of ABP :?
The problem is that unlike ABP Firefox, ABP for Chrome only allows enabling or disabling whole filter subscriptions, and not individual filters contained within subscriptions, inside the Filters List options. However, ABP for Chrome allows for specifying custom filters via the "add your own" options page. Other than that, there is no way to modify filters contained within subscriptions. So it is impossible to disable the offending filter from a subscription, unless the subscription filter itself is modified. And the problem is that I have no way of modifying the subscription from within Chrome.

/m

Post by Guest »

Michael wrote:I tested Adblock Plus for Chrome and, as far as I can find, it is not possible to disable subscription filters...
Just to be clear, it is my understanding that "filter subscriptions" are a collection of filters made into a filter list (the subscription). In light of this, it _is_ possible to disable filter subscriptions within Chrome via ABP -> Filter Lists options page by unchecking the subscription from the list. However, unlike in Firefox where you can uncheck the subscription or the individual filters in order to enable or disable the item, ABP for Chrome doesn't have such option. It only allows enabling or disabling filter subscriptions.

/m
Ares2

Post by Ares2 »

I'm sure Wladimir will fix that at some point, but you will agree that basic things (like the latest "blocking instead of hiding" ads) had and have higher priority than advanced user interface functionality. After all, ABP for Chrome is far from being finished.

Luckily, there are A LOT of ways to disable autocomplete on Google, a selection can be found here: https://www.google.com/support/forum/p/ ... 433&hltp=2

I personally use the complete=0 method as it perfectly fits all my needs, YMMV.
milithruldur

Post by milithruldur »

Yes, I understand and I learned quite a few things from the replies.

Indeed, there are different ways to achieving things, but I chose to go by this way and see what options might there be. Now that the options are exhausted, I will be looking at the other ways and the suggestion is welcome.

Hopefully we would see improvements on the road blocks we hit while evaluating the options in the future. I'm positive with ABP for Chrome, that's why I made the switch from Adblock. I'm looking forward to ABP for Chrome putting more control over what items are downloaded by pages and which requests can be made to other resources, especially the ability to view what items are loaded within the page via a corresponding blockable items panel from Firefox. :-)

I never thought it would happen and I always wondered about Adthwart being adopted by ABP, the former using the same filter engine from Firefox. I'm glad it did.

/m