Webrequest

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Wladimir Palant

Re: Webrequest

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@lewisje: I am already working on removing filterupdate.js altogether. The version I have right now uses modules from ABP/Firefox to store (via File API) and update filters. Old settings are imported automatically and after that localStorage is only used for options, nothing else. It is functional but the user interface still needs to be updated.
Wladimir Palant

There we go: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplusc ... 0453632025

A new development build will be out in ~10 minutes, the quota issues should be gone now. This is a massive change however that affects pretty much everything. I will write up a proper announcement tomorrow explaining the changes in detail.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Wladimir Palant wrote:There we go: https://hg.adblockplus.org/adblockplusc ... 0453632025

A new development build will be out in ~10 minutes, the quota issues should be gone now. This is a massive change however that affects pretty much everything. I will write up a proper announcement tomorrow explaining the changes in detail.
This song immediately came to mind: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXSOD1N5lR4

then this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8mm1Qmt-Y
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Updated to latest 706 build and getting this in options:

I updated lists and then took pics...
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Zlip792 wrote:Updated to latest 706 build and getting this in options:
I updated lists and then took pics...
The other available lists are visible when you click the "Add filter subscription" button.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
NineWest

Post by NineWest »

I'm stupid.
Last edited by NineWest on Thu Oct 27, 2011 9:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
question

Post by question »

What are some of the known issues with the experimental build of abp?
Wladimir Palant

@Zlip792: Yes, this is how filter subscriptions UI looks like now. The original user interface encouraged people to subscribe to too many filter lists, and it depended heavily on a predefined list of subscriptions - it had to be replaced.
question wrote:What are some of the known issues with the experimental build of abp?
I think that there are currently two:
  • Some false positives possible because Chrome doesn’t distinguish between objects and object subrequests (didn't seem to be much of an issue so far).
  • "Hide placeholders of blocked elements" option doesn't work quite as throughly as in Firefox (you will sometimes still see blank space where an ad was supposed to be).
Which is a lot better than the regular version with its numerous issues. I hope that the WebRequest API becomes stable soon.
Wladimir Palant

Here we have the proper announcement: Improved data format in Chrome. Note that this change affects both experimental and regular builds.
geki007

Post by geki007 »

I installed the latest build on a clean chromium and the default subscriptions was "Recommended filters for Google Chrome" (OK) and "Fanboy's List"
Is the "Fanboy's List" ok? I think the default was always "EasyList" ?!

Also if i click to "Add filter subscription", both "EasyList" and "Fanboy's List" is red, don't know what it means
Wladimir Palant

It means that both EasyList and Fanboy's List are recommended for your browser locale (English). I should probably change the background to green - in Firefox I use bold text but Chrome doesn't support it.

If there are multiple recommendations for your locale then Adblock Plus will choose one randomly on first run. That's how ABP/Firefox worked for a while already, now ABP/Chrome uses the same logic.
geki007

Post by geki007 »

When you say it's not a bug, just a feature it's ok for me too ;)
Thank's for your fast answer
super_fox

Post by super_fox »

how do i get to use the developer builds are they any better?
Last edited by super_fox on Thu Oct 27, 2011 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wladimir Palant

super_fox

Post by super_fox »

i just did that went to current build but not developer build.