437 Items Blocked on Youtube

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
MatthewAiden

437 Items Blocked on Youtube

Post by MatthewAiden »

While I'm sure this is nothing new, could anyone explain why, what, or how there are so many damn things being loaded and blocked from Youtube alone? Sure, part of it is the one or two increase just going back and forth between tabs, but damn. I don't think I've ever seen it go so high before. If I also include ublock, which I use as redundancy and to catch a few through the cracks, it's 192 additional items.

I feel like I'm quoting Spaceballs: "Just how many tracker ads do we have on this website anyhow?!"
Last edited by MatthewAiden on Tue Dec 17, 2019 1:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: 437 Items Blocked on Youtube

Post by greiner »

MatthewAiden wrote:While I'm sure this is nothing new, could anyone explain why, what, or how there are so many damn things being loaded and blocked from Youtube alone? Sure, part of it is the one or two increase just going back and forth between tabs, but damn. I don't think I've ever seen it go so high before.
Unlike most other websites, YouTube doesn't actually refresh each time you go to a different page. So even though its URL changes, the page itself remains the same and it merely loads whatever content needs to be replaced on the page. This is similar to how, when you click on an email in Gmail, it changes the URL and only loads the email rather than refreshing the entire page.

Due to that, the counter, unlike on other websites, keeps increasing because it remains persistent even if you go to other videos. It only resets if you reload the page, close the tab or navigate to a different website.
MatthewAiden wrote:If I also include ublock, which I use as redundancy and to catch a few through the cracks, it's 192 additional items.
We, as well as the creator of uBlock Origin, strongly recommend not to use multiple adblockers at the same time. The reason for it is that it tends to result in overall worse adblocking because some stuff is meant to go through in order to defeat an anti-adblocking technique or to block an ad, even if it might sound counterintuitive. Furthermore, if you have Acceptable Ads enabled, it will also decrease how much money content creators can make from non-obtrusive ads.

Therefore please pick only one adblocker in order to avoid running into such problems. All of them use essentially the same rules for blocking ads anyway so the reason why one might block more than the other could be unrelated to how many ads it blocks but it might block non-ad-related stuff which other adblockers don't by default (e.g. Adblock Plus' "Block additional tracking" or "Block social media icons tracking" options).