blocking individual websites!

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
cornfed

blocking individual websites!

Post by cornfed »

I cannot seem to be able to block any website at any time I please, which, believe me, would skyrocket this app to the top of any list(even though it already seems to be,lol). Peace!!!!
Wladimir Palant

Re: blocking individual websites!

Post by Wladimir Palant »

We are not in the business of preventing you from going to websites you explicitly chose to visit - we are removing parts of webpages but not entire pages. From what I can tell, it isn't really possible on Chrome anyway.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Wladimir Palant wrote:We are not in the business of preventing you from going to websites you explicitly chose to visit - we are removing parts of webpages but not entire pages. From what I can tell, it isn't really possible on Chrome anyway.
IMO it would entirely be a security enhancement, like if some joker in a Web forum redirected you to a malware domain and you were using the Malware Domains list, you would not be able to make the request; then again most cases like this can be dealt with via the HOSTS file, dnsmasq, Comodo Secure DNS/Norton DNS, or PeerBlock (for blocking IP addresses).
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Simon Brown

Post by Simon Brown »

Wladimir Palant wrote:From what I can tell, it isn't really possible on Chrome anyway.
I think it would be possible. An extension could redirect a tab when the update method is called (this extension claims to be able to block sites, though I haven't tried it). The webrequest API should make site blocking more effective.

When an extension is installed conventionally, it can be easily be uninstalled, but Chrome for Business allows admins to install extensions that can't be uninstalled.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Simon Brown wrote:
Wladimir Palant wrote:From what I can tell, it isn't really possible on Chrome anyway.
I think it would be possible. An extension could redirect a tab when the update method is called (this extension claims to be able to block sites, though I haven't tried it). The webrequest API should make site blocking more effective.
I'm trying out WebFilter right now, blocking just "security: malware, virus, fishing,frauds"
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.