Is it possible to use HTML5 like NotScript?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Hungry Man

Is it possible to use HTML5 like NotScript?

Post by Hungry Man »

http://optimalcycling.com/other-projects/notscripts/

Apparently NotScript was able to mimic NoScript perfectly by using HTML5. They both suffered from the API being too tight... Could ABP gain from this?
Wladimir Palant

Re: Is it possible to use HTML5 like NotScript?

Post by Wladimir Palant »

Hungry Man wrote:Apparently NotScript was able to mimic NoScript perfectly by using HTML5.
Why would you think that? One can argue about whether NoScript really improves security, but NotScript definitely doesn't. It doesn't stop script execution - full stop. There isn't anything in HTML5 or otherwise that would let you do that. Instead it prevents external scripts from loading (using "beforeload" event, just like Adblock Plus) and tries some lame tricks to prevent internal scripts from executing (these tricks are trivial to bypass).
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Also NotScripts doesn't protect against ClickJacking or XSS (independently of script-blocking), and it doesn't enforce application boundaries, and it does not block iframes (although Better Popup Blocker can do that) or plugin content (although click-to-play in about:flags can do that).

Anyway I thought both AdBlock and Adblock Plus did use at least one HTML5 feature: Local Storage.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

All Chrome extensions use a bunch of "HTML5 features". Which doesn't make HTML5 the solution for everything - it is simply a set of tools (tools that are primarily meant for webpages so you shouldn't expect anything extremely useful for an extension).