can anyone help me block Demonoid and TPB poker popups?

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
snadge

can anyone help me block Demonoid and TPB poker popups?

Post by snadge »

Iam sick of Demonoid and TPB throwing popups my way and i see many fixes that do not seem to work

can anyone suggest a fix that works?

I use chrome stable and ABP with Fanboy list

thanks
mapx

Re: can anyone help me block Demonoid and TPB poker popups?

Post by mapx »

can you test these?

demonoid.me##.pad9px_right
||demonoid.me/cached/bnr_
snadge

Post by snadge »

thank you

seem to work :)

I got a couple for TPB too which seem to work aswell

so job done~!

THANK YOU :)
snadge

Post by snadge »

bah humbug

its not working... just got a poker popup on demonoid :(
fanboy

Post by fanboy »

Looks like an issue with chrome from I see, I can't re-produce the issue in Firefox
mapx

Post by mapx »

I'm using iron browser + ABP (iron is a chrome one). It has a builtin adblock (adblock.ini ... ). I dont have problems with demonoid.
mapx

Post by mapx »

the article is way out of date (its about iron 4)

- nothing about builtin adblock
- nothing about iron is faster than chrome.
snadge

Post by snadge »

strange.... i have tried again and got no popups - it only happened when clicking on a download or viewing a torrent, not all the time either but always once per session - anyway tried it and didnt happen - i disabled ABP and restarted browser and still again no popups (these are normally new windows with poker adverts) - anyway, i go to this IRON Browser website to see how its 'faster' than chrome and guess what happens...

...there is a poker popup on their website lol....

screenshot:
http://img87.imageshack.us/img87/4360/screen3o.jpg

I dont even play poker...

this was with ABP off

another wierd issue with chrome is video trailers on videos on Msn Video Player website....but not in firefox... be interesting to see if get them in Iron, i think google are forcing adverts and video adverts onto people on certain sites (and maybe countrys...my dads chrome (in scotland) does not get these trailers) - just like that do with adverts on YouTube videos
mapx

Post by mapx »

@snadge

for iron: you can go on fanboy's site to get adblock.ini for iron (on a fresh install or reinstall adblock.ini will be empty)
snadge

Post by snadge »

ive installed ABP on it - i think Iam going to use an alternative too chrome - i dont like the way they sneak updater software on that they make run every hour and stay running through task scheduler and the fact i get video trailers on msn video players website on chrome...

where do you put the ini file?
can you disable on some sites?
if not, can i just use ABP?
mapx

Post by mapx »

- the adblock.ini is in the program folder; its created during iron's 'install
- download the adblock.ini from fanboy's site
- when you install another version of iron SAVE your adblock.ini, because iron install put its default empty adblock.ini; after install you must reput your own/old adblock.ini
- if you have problems with some site you can edit adblock.ini, to remove/add the raw you want
- I use both of them: adblock.ini can help you to block some ads (like those ABP cant manage due to chrome bugs)
- ABP is dynamic, adblock.ini isnt (when you modify adblock.ini, you must restart iron)
- iron doesnt install the "famous" updater; you can visit srware site / forum to see if there is some new version (the new version is some days after the chrome's one)
snadge

Post by snadge »

guess wot... i used demonoid for first time today and as soon as i clicked on a torrent to view description I got a popup...new window as usual - its immediatley put too the back though like all popups??

isnt there a simple trigger for sites? like demonoid.com = dont allow new windows?
it SHOULD be that easy...
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

snadge wrote:guess wot... i used demonoid for first time today and as soon as i clicked on a torrent to view description I got a popup...new window as usual - its immediatley put too the back though like all popups??

isnt there a simple trigger for sites? like demonoid.com = dont allow new windows?
it SHOULD be that easy...
If you're using Nightly, try about:permission; otherwise try ExExceptions to add the "no popups" entry for Demonoid: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-us/firefo ... xceptions/

Apparently there isn't a good clean way for an extension to block popups, although you could try the Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon, which was not made and is not supported by the ABP team: https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefo ... -up-addon/

EDIT: Sorry, that advice was for the Firefox version; in Chrome it's worse, because it actually has no equivalent of the "permissions.sqlite" file used in Firefox, but you could give Better Popup Blocker a try: https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... npgcbeggic
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Michael

Post by Michael »

Is the about:permission setting different from the current Firefox option "Block pop-up windows"?