Yahoo mail forcing whitelist

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Lelaina

Yahoo mail forcing whitelist

Post by Lelaina »

Yahoo mail is forcing users to turn off Adblocker. Is there a workaround for this? I would attach a screenshot, but there is no way to do so. Thanks!
Morbo

Re: Yahoo mail forcing whitelist

Post by Morbo »

[ How do you post an image here? ]

The popup appears in the upper-right and reads:
Looks like your ad-blocker is on
Please consider supporting us with one of the options below
(button) Go ad-free
(button) Unblock ads
First click the ABP extension icon, then in the lower right click Block Element. Although we can block the popup, there are bigger problems.
The popup is triggered by various user events like clicking a different folder or message within Yahoo Mail. Those events apparently run some
JavaScript that dims the rest of the tab and effectively disables other clicks aside from the buttons (Go ad-free, Unblock ads).

For now: anytime you see the popup, one workaround is clicking the browser RELOAD button.

Question for ABP developers:
How to block the popup and resolve the issues with a dimmed tab and disabled clicks?
Fiorillo

Post by Fiorillo »

Ad blockers insert code into your inbox to block ads, which can negatively impact email performance and break functionality (such as accidentally hiding messages). We recommend whitelisting Yahoo Mail to avoid facing these issues. Doing this will also unblock ads on Yahoo Mail.
Lelaina

Post by Lelaina »

I understand that, but I find Yahoo Mail ads to be especially annoying. I've whitelisted other sites and the ads don't bother me, but I find the Yahoo Mail ads to be extremely distracting. They're always flashing and changing and I use my email a lot. I may switch my primary email to another provider because of this.
Danohall

Post by Danohall »

Any update on this?
Jena

Post by Jena »

Did you Fix it yet ?
fastfred

Post by fastfred »

I recently was able to disable this. As soon as the add pops up, right click on the little book at the top, you only have a second our two to do it. A list will pop down, click on copy address. Then click on your adblocker icon. Do as instructed from there. It worked for me, I no longer get the popup.
Warning! What I did, did disable the popup, but it still dims the screen and you have to refresh it every time, like before. So it didn't really fix the whole problem.
Last edited by fastfred on Fri Jul 31, 2020 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fastfred

Post by fastfred »

Question for ABP developers:
How to block the popup and resolve the issues with a dimmed tab and disabled clicks?
fastfred

Post by fastfred »

I found a way to stop this. Go to the Chrome Web Store and search "Yahoo mail ad-blocker". Install that. Then on your Ad Blocker Plus, white list your Yahoo mail. The new Chrome ad blocker takes over the duty of blocking the adds on Yahoo Mail. It also gets rid of the space where the adds come up, making your scree bigger.