AdBlock and AdBlock Plus Stopping Chrome Loading Pages??

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
BennettParkar

AdBlock and AdBlock Plus Stopping Chrome Loading Pages??

Post by BennettParkar »

It would appear that, right now, both the Adblock and Adblock Plus extensions are making it so that, on startup, I cannot load any pages on Chrome. In the lower left-hand corner I just see:

Waiting for extension AdBlock/AdBlock Plus

Although I can get around this by just disabling both of them and then reactivating, I cannot for the life of me figure out why this is an issue - I've never even heard of something like this before, let alone experienced it. Does anybody have any idea what might be going on?
jayroller

Re: AdBlock and AdBlock Plus Stopping Chrome Loading Pages??

Post by jayroller »

Yep, I'm getting the same thing, pages not loading - I just get "processing request" in the bottom left hand corner, and pages fail to load

Turning Adblock Plus off means the page loads - but turning it back on stops everything loading again...

Nothing has changed at my end overnight, so pretty stumped!

(Chrome Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit), AdBlock Plus version 3.9)
gav28uk

Post by gav28uk »

Same here, with AdBlock Plus enabled it is preventing all browsing. I'm running Version Chrome 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit).
goku

Post by goku »

I have two instances of Chrome, Chrome 79 which is on Chrome Portable and I recently upgraded to Chrome 83 32bit and then I have another instance of Chrome 83 64bit. I primarily use chrome portable 32bit with many many tabs and I'm experiencing the same issue with adblock plus as of July 2 where pages will not load, CPU utilization according to chrome task manager shows 100% for Adblock plus. Closing Adblock plus allows for webpages to load properly. However on Chrome 83 64bit which I also have adblock plus installed, it works acceptably though I only have a small handful of tabs open in that instance.

It's not entirely clear if this issue is confined to the 32bit version of chrome or perhaps systems with many tabs open. Opening and closing of chrome does nothing to fix this issue as neither did upgrading from Chrome 79 to Chrome 83.
jayroller

Post by jayroller »

Just been on to this extensions page at Chrome Web Store - looks like Adblock was "updated" yesterday July 1st

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/deta ... cddilifddb

Version
Updated
1 July 2020

So I assume something in that update has killed the functionality, hopefully the devs will address the issue swiftly, otherwise I for one will be looking elsewhere for an ad blocker!
FalconChipp

Post by FalconChipp »

Im having the same issue.
It seems to be that the recent chrome update (83.0.4103.116) released on the 22nd June, rolling out around now has either blocked the Adblock plus code, or it's a bug in the current version. I have a feeling Google wont rush to fix the bug since it's allowing ads now in YouTube so probably would need an Adblock update to possibly get around it.

In the mean time, backdating chrome does seem to fix the issue
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

I apologize for the problems. We are aware of it and are looking into user reports from all sides (see webext#222) but have so far been unable to reproduce it on our end. Therefore, at this point, it's still unclear how wide-spread this problem is and whether it's caused by yesterday's 3.9 update or a change in a filter list.

For that, it would be helpful to know the following for now:
- Does the problem also occur with other adblockers?
- Are you seeing the problem on all websites or only some and which ones are those?
- Which filter lists do you have installed? Does disabling the "ABP filters" filter list in the Advanced tab of the settings page fix the problem? Does unchecking "Allow Acceptable Ads" in the General tab of the settings page fix the problem?
gav28uk

Post by gav28uk »

For me, it stops access to all sites. With the AdBlock Plus extension enabled I can't even load the AdBlock Plus options facility!

I'm running Version Chrome 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit).
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

gav28uk wrote:With the AdBlock Plus extension enabled I can't even load the AdBlock Plus options facility!
That information is also helpful, thanks.

What you could try is to disable the extension, enable it again and then opening the settings page. If that still doesn't work, you can try closing all open tabs before enabling the extension again.
gav28uk

Post by gav28uk »

greiner wrote:
gav28uk wrote:With the AdBlock Plus extension enabled I can't even load the AdBlock Plus options facility!
That information is also helpful, thanks.

What you could try is to disable the extension, enable it again and then opening the settings page. If that still doesn't work, you can try closing all open tabs before enabling the extension again.
OK no matter what I do, whenever AdBlock Plus is enabled, all browsing stops and access to the AdBlock Plus options page doesn't work. If I disable the extension browsing resumes.

If I disable AdBP, close the browser, launch Chrome with no tabs open, apart from a blank Google search page, enable AdBP, try to go to AdBP > Options it doesn't load the chrome-extension://cfhdojbkjhnklbpkdaibdccddilifddb/options.html URL, nor any other URLs I try. Toggling AdBP off then allows browser URLs to work.

I meant to add, I am running Windows 10 Pro v1909 18363.900
Last edited by gav28uk on Thu Jul 02, 2020 1:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
superdv

Post by superdv »

I have the same problem - happening since this morning c9.30am. AdBlock is not allowing any internet pages to load. If I disable the add-on, everything works fine.

I am running Chrome Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit) on WIndows 7
gtb

Post by gtb »

Sorry to pile on, but "me too". Just started happening.

Unable to load *any* webpages with ABP extension enabled.

I'm still using 'Disconnect' blocker successfully.

My ABP configuration includes
  • MacOS Catalina 10.15.5 (19F101)
    Chrome Version 83.0.4103.116 (Official Build) (64-bit)
    AdBlock Plus 3.9
Unable to open ADP options page, but IIRC it was default filters, disallow acceptable ads.
Restarting the browser, re-enabling the extension, etc doesn't seem to fix it.
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

That's good to know, even though not being able to access the settings page and the extension being busy (i.e. 100% CPU) makes it quite a bit more difficult to determine the source of and fix the problem.

About an hour ago, we reverted a recent change in the "ABP filters" list. While it's not clear yet whether it's related to this issue, feel free to check if there's any difference by installing Adblock Plus in a new browser profile or by uninstall and reinstalling Adblock Plus.

In the meantime, we're continuing to attempt to reproduce the problem on our end and to see how we could get more information about its origin.
gtb

Post by gtb »

That change to the filters list worked for me - thanks!

I removed ABP (3.9) and restarted Chrome, re-added it with defaults and can load websites again.
I've also just configured back to my previous configuration (ABP filters + EasyList + Uncheck "Allow Acceptable Ads") and all still working fine.

Thanks for the prompt resolution.

p.s. I've been using ABP for years, and didn't realise how horrible the internet is without it - thanks for your great work!
gav28uk

Post by gav28uk »

As per gtb, I have uninstalled AdBP from Chrome, restarted the browser, downloaded and installed the AdBP extension and all is well again within the world. I am running with a default installation, no additional lists.