Chrome 13: New Capabilities for extensions

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
Zlip792

Chrome 13: New Capabilities for extensions

Post by Zlip792 »

It seems that Chrome 13 will give more options to extension developer (unlike Mozilla). Here is the blog post link:

Code: Select all

http://blog.chromium.org/2011/07/chrome-extensions-now-with-more.html
My question is "Does this will impact Adblock Plus for Chrome in performance increase and blocking capabilities?"

Regards
Michael

Re: Chrome 13: New Capabilities for extensions

Post by Michael »

Wladimir, the Adblock Plus developer, is currently on holiday, hence the lack of reply to your previous and practically identical post. As far as I am aware, the really important bug for the project is http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... l?id=60101 which, when fixed, would allow video adverts to be blocked. As this has not yet been resolved, I doubt that the update will permit the implementation of any significant functionality in Adblock Plus for Chrome that was not could not have previously been added to the extension.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Sorry for double post, I was in thought that maybe my last comment was in wrong thread so I created dedicated thread.
So only hope for improvement in Adblock Plus is through WebRequest API. I am also looking for it get fixed.
Thanks for reply and clearing all things. Any timeline when Wladimir return? So we get updates on adblock plus for chrome and new improvements like 1.2 version. Don`t mind my excitement.
Michael

Post by Michael »

I am not willing to divulge more information than Wladimir has publicly supplied, which is that he headed on holiday around Tuesday this week (his final post before leaving was at 19:30 according to my forum settings and final commit to Adblock Plus before leaving was at 20:45 his local time) and has not yet returned.

In terms of release dates for Adblock Plus:
Michael wrote:The roadmap details the features that have been and are yet to be completed before the next release of all of Wladimir's add-ons. Once the features have all been implemented there is usually a two week interval for testing and translation before the final release. More information about the work undertaken by Wladimir is available in his public task list.
Firefox fanboy

Post by Firefox fanboy »

Zlip792 wrote:It seems that Chrome 13 will give more options to extension developer (unlike Mozilla).
Heh. Nothing new, just fixed some previously broken features. FYI, Firefox extension system is still more powerful than Chrome's ever will. Adblock Plus had to be lobotomized to be ported to Chrome.
Zlip792

Post by Zlip792 »

Firefox fanboy wrote:
Zlip792 wrote:It seems that Chrome 13 will give more options to extension developer (unlike Mozilla).
Heh. Nothing new, just fixed some previously broken features. FYI, Firefox extension system is still more powerful than Chrome's ever will. Adblock Plus had to be lobotomized to be ported to Chrome.
I am as well die hard fan of Mozilla extension ecosystem but you should open your eyes and look around Mozilla developers are started to remove some addons developer helping codes. One example JSON praser removal in FF8.