Adblock Plus for Chrome unable to block video adverts

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
lewisje

Re: Adblock Plus for Chrome unable to block video adverts

Post by lewisje »

There may be other advantages to the experimental build, but now, with the stable release of Chrome 17, WebRequest is no longer one of them: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xk8mm1Qmt-Y
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
ss

Post by ss »

Michael wrote:Since YouTube has been updated there have been many reports that Adblock Plus for Chrome does not block video adverts. This is a known issue (YouTube adverts were only blocked through the use of a hack that no longer functions since an update to the website) that results from a lack of support in Chrome for extensions to block items loaded by plug-ins. When the API that permits this is implemented I am reasonably certain that Wladimir will permit Adblock Plus for Chrome to block videos when he returns from holiday. In the meantime, I would simply advise using the Firefox version of Adblock Plus, which is able to block videos. There is no point in continuing to post about domains on which Adblock Plus for Chrome does not block video adverts - we very likely already know about them.

P.S. Would a moderator please consider making this topic a sticky?
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

That issue has since been resolved with the stable release of Chrome 17, with its stable WebRequest API.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
EboO

Post by EboO »

Recommended filters for chrome are still necessary or not ?
mapx

Post by mapx »

EboO wrote:Recommended filters for chrome are still necessary or not ?
no, you can delete "Recommended filters for chrome"
carol

Post by carol »

hi!
The version from chrome web store didn't work for me so I installed version from your link and it works great - but I have a tiny problem - titles of the videos from my favorites on the bottom of youtube doesn't show - do you know how to fix this?
thanks!
mapx

Post by mapx »

carol wrote:hi!
The version from chrome web store didn't work for me so I installed version from your link and it works great - but I have a tiny problem - titles of the videos from my favorites on the bottom of youtube doesn't show - do you know how to fix this?
thanks!
give us a page and the subscriptions you are using
carol

Post by carol »

uh... It works today - I have no idea how - but yesterday there were only pictures and today text appears too.
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

It seems Crunchyroll has run a site update that prevents Adblock Plus from blocking the video ads. It worked yesterday but not today. AdBlock either blocks the flash and image ads leaving their elements in place (I tried blocking the elements, didn't work) and plays the video ads normally or gets stuck in the advertisement skits during the video.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Something about the ad URLs has changed, and the major subscription authors will soon adapt. :)
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Okay, cool. I'm running EasyList and Fanboy's list, if that info is worth mentioning.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Godzilla wrote:Okay, cool. I'm running EasyList and Fanboy's list, if that info is worth mentioning.
You should run only one of the two: The potential for false positives increases, they are harder to debug, the resource usage of ABP increases by a great deal, and not much extra blocking capability is gained.
Godzilla

Post by Godzilla »

Okay, thank you.
bill

Post by bill »

abp not working on tinychat.com !