Can't turn off desktop notifications

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
beleester

Can't turn off desktop notifications

Post by beleester »

Adblock for Chrome occasionally pops up a "You've blocked 11,000 ads so far..." notification in Windows. I don't want to see this notification. God knows why you thought people who are looking for an adblocker would be interested in more spam notifications, but whatever.

Anyway, there's a "don't show this notification button" in the notification. This takes me to the Adblock extension options page, and I uncheck the "Show useful notifications" option.

Issue #1: The box doesn't actually uncheck when I click on it. However, if I navigate away from the page and come back, the option is unchecked, so I assume it's disabled.

Issue #2: This option doesn't appear to do anything. A few weeks later, I'll see the same notification again, and if I go back to the options page, the "show useful notifications" option has mysteriously been re-checked.

I'm not sure what causes this - it's hard to keep track of something that happens once every few weeks - but I suspect that it might be related to Chrome or Adblock installing updates, since it seems to happen when I restart Chrome after my computer was shut down, and I know that's when it installs updates.
greiner
ABP Developer

Re: Can't turn off desktop notifications

Post by greiner »

It sounds like there has been some data corruption in your browser profile because it appears that Adblock Plus is unable to make any changes to its settings. Usually, the extension can detect such problems and it would notify you about it by opening a new tab on which it shows further information.

Generally, there's no way for the extension to fix this problem so, depending on the severity of the problem, you'll have to either reinstall the extension, create a new browser profile or reinstall your browser.

See also the related Help Center article.
beleester

Re: Can't turn off desktop notifications

Post by beleester »

This appears to have fixed the settings issue. I'll see if the notification stops showing up.