ABP messing with text entry on Facebook

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Google Chrome
FlyingSandwich

ABP messing with text entry on Facebook

Post by FlyingSandwich »

I can't remember when this started happening (it was very recently, within the last few weeks on 4chan and the last couple of days on Facebook), but I narrowed the problem down to ABP. When I'm entering text on Facebook, if I try to enter more than one line break, instead of making the second line break, it 'removes the focus' from the text entry field. If I persist, clicking back into the field, and try to make that second line break a few more times, it crashes the page.
Also, when I first try to enter text into the field, it ignores whatever key I press first. So if I clicked on the comment box and typed "Seven", it'd come up as "even".

I tested this with all addons disabled, then selectively re-enabled the ones I thought were most likely, and found that the problem only happens with ABP enabled.

If it's of any relevance, everything works fine on this page. It must be the type of text field that Facebook uses. I think it also happens on 4chan, to a degree, which leads me to believe it's some sort of incompatibilty with Ajax (I use a script which auto-updates threads).
FlyingSandwich

An addendum

Post by FlyingSandwich »

I can't find an edit button (probably because I'm not registered), but I should probably mention that it's not just when I try to add two line breaks. Just entering one line break will cause it to take the focus away from the text entry field, but it's persistently trying to enter another line break that causes it to crash.
abp user

Re: ABP messing with text entry on Facebook

Post by abp user »

having the same problem-- when I enter a capital letter as the first thing in a text field the character does not appear, and as you said, adding two line breaks causes the focus to shift. This is not only ABP, but regular AdBlock as well, it's weird.
same guy as the last post

Post by same guy as the last post »

apparently ABP was still messing things up when I had it disabled :shock:, so regular AdBlock is completely bug-free for me at the moment.
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

It is this Chrome bug: http://code.google.com/p/chromium/issue ... l?id=68705

The good news is that it seems to be fixed in Chrome 15 (which is coming out end of October). Until then I asked EasyList authors to remove the filter rule that is causing the issue (they only have one).
FlyingSandwich

Post by FlyingSandwich »

Alright, good to know. Thanks.
CapeMaySande

Post by CapeMaySande »

Fantastic!
Wladimir Palant

This filter has now been removed from EasyList so updating your filters should hopefully resolve the issue.
Ademos

Post by Ademos »

Wladimir Palant wrote:This filter has now been removed from EasyList so updating your filters should hopefully resolve the issue.
Great!

Thanks for the fix Wladmir, I will be happy to re-enable your (faster) extension on my Google Chrome installation.

Edit:
Hmm, your extension is still causing the same text-entry problem on Facebook for me.

After I...
- Updated my EasyList filter subscription
- Cleared my cache.
- Disabled any other Google Chrome ad-blocking extension
Wladimir Palant

@Ademos: Which filter subscriptions do you have activated? EasyList should be unproblematic but other subscriptions might still have a filter causing this issue.

Edit: I tried EasyList, EasyList Germany, Fanboy's List, Fanboy's Español/Português, ChinaList and RuAdList - I cannot see any issues.