[Invalid] ABP button not respecting customized location

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
d.a.

[Invalid] ABP button not respecting customized location

Post by d.a. »

Since ABP became a restartless extension the ABP button in the addon-bar no longer respects the location of where the button is placed within the bar. It would be nice if ABP could remember where in the addon-bar it has been placed.
Wladimir Palant

Re: ABP button not respecting customized addon-bar location

Post by Wladimir Palant »

d.a. wrote:It would be nice if ABP could remember where in the addon-bar it has been placed.
Would you believe me if I told you that it does?

I assume that your steps to reproduce go like this:
  • Start Firefox
  • Customize toolbars and move the ABP icon to the right end of the add-on bar.
  • Restart Firefox and observe the ABP icon on the left end of the add-on bar again.
Well, that's not what I see - if I move the icon it stays there. So please proved additional information that might be important, especially:
  • Which Firefox version, which Adblock Plus version?
  • What other extensions are installed?
  • What exactly are you doing? Are the steps above correct?
Wladimir Palant

PS: I see an issue when placing the icon before the space separating the left and right side of the add-on bar, maybe that's what you meant.
d.a.

Post by d.a. »

I have a few icons in the addon-bar, NoScript, Greasemonkey, Flashgot, and ABP icon places itself to the left of these regardless if I had moved the ABP icon to the right of them.
Wladimir Palant

It seems that you are observing bug 575500. I don't see anything that we can do about it - we insert the button into the right place, Firefox displays it elsewhere however.

Marking as Invalid because this isn't our bug and we cannot fix it, Mozilla will have to do something.
Hubird

Re: [Invalid] ABP button not respecting customized location

Post by Hubird »

Reported: 2010-06-28 21:14

Can't see it being fixed in a hurry (not that this bug bothers me).
Wladimir Palant

No, unfortunately not. If we are lucky it will get fixed in Firefox 16. But it depends on whether "blocks Adblock Plus" is considered important enough in this case. I think that all extensions based on Add-on SDK are affected as well - maybe we can get a faster resolution if the SDK devs chime in as well. Note that until now there were no known real-world scenarios affected by this bug, consequently no reason to hurry.
Ede_123

Post by Ede_123 »

Do you know what Down Them All does differently compared do ABP?
Since nightlies got restartless lately too, but DTA's icon is placed in to correct position.
Wladimir Palant

I just tried DownThemAll and it has exactly the same issue. Whether you see it depends on whether you place the icon before or after the fake status bar (something that you cannot see while customizing, only visible in the DOM Inspector).
Ede_123

Post by Ede_123 »

Ok, thanks. Seems that we have to wait for the bug to be fixed then. I just voted for it for the time being.

I was hoping there was an alternative way to place the icon.

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:If we are lucky it will get fixed in Firefox 16. But it depends on whether "blocks Adblock Plus" is considered important enough in this case. I think that all extensions based on Add-on SDK are affected as well - maybe we can get a faster resolution if the SDK devs chime in as well. Note that until now there were no known real-world scenarios affected by this bug, consequently no reason to hurry.
Still "new" as of 16.0.1
How can we interest the SDK devs in this bug?
george38

Post by george38 »

FF 23.0.1 still an issue