Many patterns-NNN.ini files, normal?

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
Gingerbread Man

Re: Many patterns-NNN.ini files, normal?

Post by Gingerbread Man »

sacred apple wrote:I also experience the same problem.
What's your anti-virus? Some people have reported their anti-virus puts a lock on the Firefox profile while scanning. This leaves Firefox (and extensions like Adblock Plus) unable to write to the original files, which then causes duplicates to be created. Try adding the Firefox profile folder, or just the \adblockplus subfolder to the scanning exceptions.
https://support.mozilla.org/kb/profiles ... -user-data
sacred apple wrote:tried disabling, closing ff, re-enabling ABP(don't want to remove it completely bc I have custom filters)
Uninstalling Adblock Plus doesn't normally remove either your filters or your Adblock Plus preferences. Still, you can create backups of your filters.
  1. Click the toolbar icon.
  2. Click Filter Preferences.
  3. Click the Backup and Restore button in the bottom left corner of the window.
  4. Click Create New Backup.
vinny86 wrote:Long time Better Privacy user... never encountered the mentioned problem too.
Same here.
sacred apple

Post by sacred apple »

Thanks Gingerbread Man.

I don't run an AV on access scanner. I do run comodo firewall, though it only deals with network access and not file access. I've found a few people reporting this issue, and I know countless others have said they don't have the problem. I really wonder what the missing key is. I never really looked at the statistic counts so for the most part I'm a happy camper with it disabled and ABP not creating thousands of copies of the patterns file (1 per ff exit)
ds33

Post by ds33 »

I'm having this problem in Android (and Windows 7 apparently though I didn't notice before even though there are over 1500 of them there) where space is very limited. I have over a hundred patterns-##.ini files in Android in less than a month of using Firefox there and the Adblockplus folder is now almost 50MB, which is as large as the rest of Firefox. I can't edit the files manually since the device is not rooted (I used the "copy profile" extension to view the folder but there's no way to access it) and clearing data for Firefox would result in my needing to manually reinstall addons, bookmarks, and the items I changed in about:config. I'm okay with that, but I'd like to fix the problem first.

Other addons:
Cleanquit
Copy Profile (just added this)
several search addons (Startpage, Ixquick, Wikipedia)
Phony
NO Google Analytics

Firefox 23, Adblock Plus 2.3.2, Android 4.1.2

Also running avast! Mobile antivirus, but I can't see a way to exclude a folder from the scan.