[Fixed] "Adblock Plus has been updated" page won't go away

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
shiner

Re: "Adblock Plus has been updated" page won't go away

Post by shiner »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@shiner: Does the Inspector window (the one where you typed that command) show any errors other than "Port error"?
It does. It says something about FileErrors and Errors in general.

Screenshot: http://i.imgur.com/Z0elK.jpg
Wladimir Palant

Post by Wladimir Palant »

@shiner: Ok, now we are getting somewhere, thank you! Could you also click on the arrows left of "Error" and "FileError" to expand the error descriptions?

Edit: Never mind, I think I already know what it says.
Wladimir Palant

I found one small issue on our side, the fix is currently under review: http://codereview.adblockplus.org/8681104/

However, it seems that in most cases it won't help, the real issue being this one: en/known-issues-chrome#filterstorage. It would really help if somebody verified that removing the File System folder fixes the issue.

PS: Please also tell us which Chrome version you are using - the issue above was supposed to be resolved in Chrome 20.

Post by Guest »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@shiner: Ok, now we are getting somewhere, thank you! Could you also click on the arrows left of "Error" and "FileError" to expand the error descriptions?

Edit: Never mind, I think I already know what it says.
Here you go.
Screenshot 1: http://i.imgur.com/0nxND.jpg
Screenshot 2: http://i.imgur.com/StVYk.jpg

Where is that File System folder you're talking about? Will it erase my settings if I remove it?
Wladimir Palant

Guest wrote:Where is that File System folder you're talking about? Will it erase my settings if I remove it?
See the documentation link I gave above: en/known-issues-chrome#filterstorage
The "File System" folder is located in the Chrome profile ("%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default" on Windows). Removing it shouldn't make things work - the data there is already corrupted. You might want to rename the folder instead of removing it just in case. If things work after removing that folder and you are using a current Chrome version (newer than Chrome 20) - I would be grateful if you could send me the data you had in that folder to trev@adblockplus.org, should help creating a new Chrome issue report.

Note that the Adblock Plus issue I mentioned above is now fixed, the change should be part of the next development build. I've also implemented a warning for people having a corrupted File System folder (currently under review) - if that issue gets confirmed we plan a follow-up release next Tuesday (that warning needs translations).
shiner

Post by shiner »

Wladimir Palant wrote:
Guest wrote:Where is that File System folder you're talking about? Will it erase my settings if I remove it?
See the documentation link I gave above: en/known-issues-chrome#filterstorage
The "File System" folder is located in the Chrome profile ("%LOCALAPPDATA%\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default" on Windows). Removing it shouldn't make things work - the data there is already corrupted. You might want to rename the folder instead of removing it just in case. If things work after removing that folder and you are using a current Chrome version (newer than Chrome 20) - I would be grateful if you could send me the data you had in that folder to trev@adblockplus.org, should help creating a new Chrome issue report.
It didn't fix the issue, unfortunately.
Chrome version: 22.0.1229.94 m
shiner

Post by shiner »

The issue seems to be fixed now.
And "localStorage.currentVersion" says "2.1" instead of "2.0.3". No errors in the console apart from the Port ones.
Wladimir Palant

@shiner: Could you pack up your old "File System" folder and send it to trev@adblockplus.org? I would like to know what exactly was wrong with it and report to Google. They need to fix this.
zzzz

Post by zzzz »

shiner wrote:Same thing. Can the devs help to fix this, please?
pero el kk no :roll: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :wink: :oops: : :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: oops: :oops:
shiner

Post by shiner »

Wladimir Palant wrote:@shiner: Could you pack up your old "File System" folder and send it to trev@adblockplus.org? I would like to know what exactly was wrong with it and report to Google. They need to fix this.
Done.
Wladimir Palant

@shiner: Thanks a lot! I filed Chrome bug 158709 on that issue. The good news is: this isn't a global corruption, it rather affects Adblock Plus data only. I verified that uninstalling Adblock Plus and installing it again fixes it - this is simpler than hunting down folders in the file system. I updated the information under en/known-issues-chrome#filterstorage.
kgreg

Post by kgreg »

same problem here.
i had 2 extensions in Chrome: AdblockPlus and Extension Update Notify (i since remove the notify extension so i'm not sure the exact name)
i removed the "notify" extension but still this startup page keeps showing up EVERY TIME i open Chrome.
running Win7 pro (in boot camp) and have all current/available updates except Bing desktop
running Google Drive and MS Skydrive simultaneously
i have 5 pages set up to load in Chrome startup, two are pinned (both pinned are gmail & yahoo mail)
other installed browsers: opera 12.02; IE 9 v 9.0.8112. blah, blah, blah = most current
never installed firefox on this boot camp install... too bloated
kgreg

Post by kgreg »

just uninstalled and cleared all history including "clear data from hosted apps"
closed Chrome
rebooted (soft)
reinstalled AdbockPlus

annoying startup page only appeared once immediately after install
so far it appears to be fine. have only seen the page once.

thanks
Bradavon

Post by Bradavon »

It looks like it's fixed for me too. Thanks for the quick fix.

All I did was:

1. Disabled the alternative Adblock extension I was using.
2. Re-enabled Adblock Plus (I never removed/uninstalled it).
3. Clicked "Developer Mode" and then "Update Extensions Now".
4. Checked my subscriptions were set correctly.

Closed Chrome a couple of times and re-opened it. No Startup page at all (because I never uninstalled it).
Bradavon

Post by Bradavon »

I spoke to soon, it's started happening again. Grrr!

I've disabled Adblock Plus and re-installed Adblock. I've got better things to be doing!