Massive data consumption after ABP install on Android

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
Lumbermatt

Massive data consumption after ABP install on Android

Post by Lumbermatt »

Hi,

I've installed ABP on my 4.1 Android phone (HTC Desire Z). My mobile plan is billed at the 26th of each month. Last 12 months, I had a data consumption between 1 and 1,5 Gb/months (2Gb in rare cases). A week after having installed ABP, I got a message from my provider telling me I had consumed all my 3Gb for the month. I haven't changed anything in my habits or installed other new apps.

After checking in the data consumption monitor, Android shows that ABP has consumed about 4,92Gb (!) from the 26/08 to the 04/09. My provided has recorded a global consumption of 3,2 Gb which is what I consume in one month... not in a week !

The consumption monitor shows my that ABP downloaded 2,5 Gb only yestarday... which is the first time I used youtube to watch two videos. Maybe ABP keeps downloading something in the background. Fortunately, this won't have some expensive consequences for me as far my plan doesn't charge me for overconsumption but only reduce the bandwith... but until next 26 I won't be able to use mobile data :(
tolland

Re: Massive data consumption after ABP install on Android

Post by tolland »

If you are referring to this app; https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_GB

it appears to be fake. You can complain to google via the "inappropriate apps" form;
https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... t/takedown

(I am thinking about how it would be possible to reclaim data usage fees that were incurred as a result from the provider, or indeed google. If google responded to the take-down request in good time, then really, this would be less of a problem)
fawf424t4

Post by fawf424t4 »

From the FAQ: "Why does Adblock Plus appear to consume so much traffic?

To filter ads, all traffic has to pass through Adblock Plus. Android considers this to be the traffic caused by the app, while it is in reality the sum of all traffic."

en/android-faq
Surfinette

Post by Surfinette »

fawf424t4 wrote:From the FAQ: "Why does Adblock Plus appear to consume so much traffic?

To filter ads, all traffic has to pass through Adblock Plus. Android considers this to be the traffic caused by the app, while it is in reality the sum of all traffic."

en/android-faq
The sum of all trafic can't reach 3 gig in just a couple of days for a normal user ...

This is a well know bug... but the devs seem not to care, because there are many many complains of the same sort, and no reaction from the devs...

Adblock plus on Android will kill your dataplan in less than a week

THIS I A MAJOR AND SERIOUS BUG THAT NEED TO BE FIXED !
Lumbermatt

Post by Lumbermatt »

fawf424t4 wrote:From the FAQ: "Why does Adblock Plus appear to consume so much traffic?

en/android-faq
I'm aware of this. But in this case :
- my provider has registered (on his side) an amount of traffic > 3Gb, so real data traffic… So I’m not talking about the Android measurement « glitch »
- I never consume more than 1.5Gb in a month… I’m totally sure about that, so I can hardly imagine having consumed 3 Gb in 3 days …
In many reports of this bug, the Youtube app seems to be involved…
tolland wrote:If you are referring to this app; https://play.google.com/store/apps/deta ... s&hl=en_GB

it appears to be fake. You can complain to google via the "inappropriate apps" form;
https://support.google.com/googleplay/a ... t/takedown

(I am thinking about how it would be possible to reclaim data usage fees that were incurred as a result from the provider, or indeed google. If google responded to the take-down request in good time, then really, this would be less of a problem)
I loaded ABP from the ABP website. Google will take time to take down the fake app from the play store. As far as ABP is a direct threat for their main business incomes (i.e. ads…) I can imagine that they will take their time to ruin the reputation of ABP btw…
p_hill

Post by p_hill »

ABP at Android works as a proxy, which means that ALL traffic wents through ABP before it is transferred to the actual app having requested it. The Android statistics therefore sees only ABP as app consuming internet traffic. ABP only updates itself and the installed filter lists, which might accumulate to maybe some Megabytes, but not to Gigabytes. If you still think, you are facing buggy behaviour, please file a detailed report at https://issues.adblockplus.org