chrome - frame ads flashing before blocking

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
Quasar92

chrome - frame ads flashing before blocking

Post by Quasar92 »

When you load a page this shows up when ads are blocked http://img7.imageshack.us/img7/403/y7b5.png
It goes away, but i'm guessing this is a sign that the ads are downloaded and then blocked. When using AdBlock(another ad bocking extension) this doesn't happen, the ads are blocked before download. Have you guys considered implementing this in ABP?
This happens in Opera/Chrome. Don't know about Firefox.
mapx

Re: Stop ads from downloading

Post by mapx »

wrong, the ads are blocked.
dont use 2 adblockers
what other extensions are you using ?

I tested livescore.com ==> no problem here, using only easylist
Quasar92

Re: [false] Stop ads from downloading

Post by Quasar92 »

1) I am not using them at the same time, you can see from the screenshot that only ABP is active.(the other adblock tool wasn't even installed)
2) I didn't say the ads weren't blocked, they are, it's just that message that blips for a second and then disappears.
3) I only use 1 extension(ABP) with easylist(considering the merge with fanboy's list we all are ussing easylist, or most of us at least)
I was just visiting the other extensions main site and it was saying something like "With AdBlock, most ads aren't even downloaded at all." and just wanted to test that. It did work just as advertised and was wondering if this might be taken to consideration for ABP since I prefer using this one because of the light memory usage. Hope this makes it more clear.
mapx

Post by mapx »

webrequest api (blocking mechanism via api) is ON since chrome 17
forum/viewtopic.php?t=9530
Quasar92

Post by Quasar92 »

You don't see "This page was blocked" in Chrome(That is for Opera). This is what you get in Chrome. Hint: See how the page is loading Image

There are about 20 different machines with ABP that I've checked and all do the same, friends that also have the extension confirmed this as well.
The page doesn't stay like this and those only show for a fraction of a second before going away. Maybe you really are the only one who doesn't have this result.
mapx

Post by mapx »

ok, I can see now what you said.
firefox seems ok
all the blocked parts are frames, so could be some chromium (frame) bug

I'll move this topic in the bug subforum, maybe the devs will find something else about ...
p_hill

Re: chrome - frame ads flashing before blocking

Post by p_hill »

I don't see any of those unloaded element spaces with Chrome 33 and ABP 1.7.4.1141

If the issue should still exist for you, please file a detailed report at https://issues.adblockplus.org