Chrome, Can't add filter due to overlay

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
WCrispy

Chrome, Can't add filter due to overlay

Post by WCrispy »

http://bbh.cc/one-chance/

The above site is an example of the old "Requests to the server have been blocked by an extension" issue. I'm new to Chrome and the way Adblock works inside it. (I used to use Firefox).

Anyway, after reinstalling Chrome last night and reconfiguring all my extensions to block Flash, ads, and the like I've been running into the above issue on random pages. A big problem is that in attempts to block the bad frame there is a transluscent or invisible overlay that prevents the adblock popup box from being able to be clicked when you try to add an easy filter. You have to open up the adblock options page, navigate to the add filter tab, and manually type in the address of the offending item, and then reload the offending page.

On the page above, adding these filters did the trick, removed the "error" popup as well as the overlay blocking the site from being clicked on.

bbh.cc###data
bbh.cc###arevicofancy-overlay

It looks like a bunch of websites out there are using this cheap and dirty code to make Chrome / adblock appear broken when really they're just circumventing how adblock works, but...

I'm not a web designer and inspecting elements or frames is all greek to me. Right clicking and trying to inspect the elements brought up the complete incorect lines of code in the box at the bottom of the screen, even though I was right clicking on the "error" box to inspect it.

I dunno if this is old news, but it was a new issue for me.

Cheers.
mapx

Re: Chrome, Can't add filter due to overlay

Post by mapx »

I clicked "easy create filter" then I pressed escape or I closed the popup window and so I had access to the adblock plus filter window
p_hill

Re: Chrome, Can't add filter due to overlay

Post by p_hill »

With Chrome 33 and ABP 1.7.4 with Easylist, I don't get any overlays at that page. If this issue still exists, please file a more detailed report at https://issues.adblockplus.org