ABP 2.4.1 hides custom toolbars in Firefox 27.0

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
kmssd

ABP 2.4.1 hides custom toolbars in Firefox 27.0

Post by kmssd »

Adblock Plus 2.4.1 installed on Firefox 27.0 (issue was present in 26.0 also).
Show tabs on Flash and Java, Hide placeholders of blocked elements, Count filter hits, and Show in toolbar are checked.
Disable everywhere is not checked.
Filter subscriptions has EasyList installed.
I also have Adblock Plus Pop-ip Addon 0.9.1 installed.

What happens is I make two custom toolbars and and the space object from Firefox's Customize Toolbar window to make the viewing area of my personas bigger. There is nothing else in those extra toolbars. When I exit and restart Firefox, whether it be the same day or the next (turning off the computer), the toolbars will disappear, although they aren't removed from my localstore.rdf file. After disabling all my addons and enabling them one by one, I've determined this addon is causing the toolbars to disappear.

If you need anymore information, let me know and I can add it.
fredmcd

Re: ABP 2.4.1 hides custom toolbars in Firefox 27.0

Post by fredmcd »

I also have this problem.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

This has been previously reported, but I can't reproduce it: the custom toolbars and all icons remain in place.

Try starting over with the default toolbar setup: right-click an empty area of the tab bar and choose Customize, then click the Restore Default Set button.

If that doesn't help, what other add-ons do you have installed? Do you have either Ghostery or NoScript, by any chance?
kmssd

Post by kmssd »

Gingerbread Man wrote:This has been previously reported, but I can't reproduce it: the custom toolbars and all icons remain in place.

Try starting over with the default toolbar setup: right-click an empty area of the tab bar and choose Customize, then click the Restore Default Set button.

If that doesn't help, what other add-ons do you have installed? Do you have either Ghostery or NoScript, by any chance?
While trying to troubleshoot this I erased my profile folder and started from scratch that way and yes I do have NoScript. Restore to default doesn't fix the issue, after doing so and re-enabling ABP and restarting Firefox, the custom toolbars once again disappear. Here is a list of all the extensions I have installed

Code: Select all

Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon
AniWeather
avast! Online Security
BetterPrivacy
Facebook Sort-By-Date
KillJasmin
NoScript
Personas Plus
Personas Rotator
Restartless Restart
WOT
X-notifier
Adblock Plus
Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant
Only Adblock Plus and Microsoft NET Framework Assistant are disabled.
Gingerbread Man

kmssd wrote:While trying to troubleshoot this I erased my profile folder and started from scratch
What exact steps did you take? This is how I tested:
  1. New profile.
  2. Install Adblock Plus — icon gets added to the navigation toolbar.
  3. Install NoScript — hold off on the restart.
  4. Add two new toolbars, each with nothing but a Space element on them.
  5. Restart Firefox.
  6. Move the NoScript icon to the left of the Adblock Plus icon and open a new window (others have reported the Adblock Plus icon disappears in this case).
kmssd wrote:Here is a list of all the extensions I have installed
I can't test all of your add-ons.
  • I'm sure BetterPrivacy doesn't have anything to do with this.
  • I don't see why you have KillJasmin if you already have Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon.
  • Microsoft .NET Framework Assistant is useless to the vast majority of people. You can uninstall it rather than disable it.
kmssd

Post by kmssd »

Gingerbread Man wrote:What exact steps did you take?
I erased my profile suspecting a corrupt file, but this is what I did.
1) Started Firefox, which create my new profile folder.
2) Installed all the toolbars I had previously from a list I made.
3) Rearranged buttons on toolbars to how I had the previously with a screen capture I took.
4) Added two custom toolbars with the "space" object.
My ABP icon and NoScript icon are on the "Add-on Bar" designated by Firefox at the bottom of my browser along with the AniWeather and X-notifier (used to be Webmail Notifier). The ABP is on the far left, then from about the middle of the bar to the far right goes all the AniWeather icons, NoScript and ends with X-notifier.
If KillJasmin and ABP Pop-up Addon do the same job and are conflicting, should I uninstall one?
Gingerbread Man

If you install all of your previous add-ons in bulk, you'll only end up with the same problem again. The correct procedure would've been to install Adblock Plus, customize the toolbars, then restart Firefox and verify the problem doesn't occur. Then install another add-on, restart Firefox and check again until you hit the one that triggers the issue.

Try the following:
  1. Disable all add-ons except Adblock Plus.
  2. Restart Firefox.
  3. Right-click an empty area of the tab bar, choose Customize, then click the Restore Default Set button.
  4. Customize the toolbars.
  5. Restart Firefox. Verify that the custom toolbars haven't disappeared.
  6. If the toolbars are still in place, re-enable half of your add-ons and restart Firefox.
  7. Customize the toolbars and restart Firefox again. Repeat until the problem occurs. When that happens, one of the add-ons you re-enabled triggered it.
kmssd wrote:If KillJasmin and ABP Pop-up Addon do the same job and are conflicting, should I uninstall one?
I don't know if they conflict, but KillJasmin does seem redundant.
kmssd

Post by kmssd »

Gingerbread Man wrote:If you install all of your previous add-ons in bulk, you'll only end up with the same problem again. The correct procedure would've been to install Adblock Plus, customize the toolbars, then restart Firefox and verify the problem doesn't occur. Then install another add-on, restart Firefox and check again until you hit the one that triggers the issue.

Try the following:
  1. Disable all add-ons except Adblock Plus.
  2. Restart Firefox.
  3. Right-click an empty area of the tab bar, choose Customize, then click the Restore Default Set button.
  4. Customize the toolbars.
  5. Restart Firefox. Verify that the custom toolbars haven't disappeared.
  6. If the toolbars are still in place, re-enable half of your add-ons and restart Firefox.
  7. Customize the toolbars and restart Firefox again. Repeat until the problem occurs. When that happens, one of the add-ons you re-enabled triggered it.
kmssd wrote:If KillJasmin and ABP Pop-up Addon do the same job and are conflicting, should I uninstall one?
I don't know if they conflict, but KillJasmin does seem redundant.
With ABP enabled, the toolbars disappeared when I enabled ABP Pop-up Addon or Avast separately.
Gingerbread Man

kmssd wrote:With ABP enabled, the toolbars disappeared when I enabled ABP Pop-up Addon or Avast separately.
No issues with those two here. I should also add that I've since tested Ghostery, and it's fine too. I know it's not on your list of installed add-ons, but other people mentioned it in relation to this problem.

kmssd

Post by kmssd »

Gingerbread Man wrote:
kmssd wrote:With ABP enabled, the toolbars disappeared when I enabled ABP Pop-up Addon or Avast separately.
No issues with those two here. I should also add that I've since tested Ghostery, and it's fine too. I know it's not on your list of installed add-ons, but other people mentioned it in relation to this problem.
When I started my computer today the toolbars disappeared. I have had the two things that mess with ABP turned off, so now another addon is interfering with ABP.
Gingerbread Man

One user has this to add:
nico wrote:I noticed that when I disable the startup cache in FF (by replacing the file "startupCache.4.little" with a zero byte file and dropping write permission for it) then the bug doesn't occur.
IT'S DEFINITELY A CACHE PROBLEM!
forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21542
kmssd

Post by kmssd »

Gingerbread Man wrote:One user has this to add:
nico wrote:I noticed that when I disable the startup cache in FF (by replacing the file "startupCache.4.little" with a zero byte file and dropping write permission for it) then the bug doesn't occur.
IT'S DEFINITELY A CACHE PROBLEM!
forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=21542
That didn't work for me.
kmssd

Post by kmssd »

Tried something today, disabled all addons and started one by one. Adblock Plus was first (alphabetically order) and ABP Pop-up addon made them disappear. I disabled that (ABP Pop-up) and continued down the list. Then lastly Web of Trust done the same thing, which I also left disabled. Should I just test Adblock Plus alone with one single addon at a time to find all the ones that will cause a problem?

Edit: Just noticed ABP is now 2.5.1 and problem is still present.
Gingerbread Man

As I said before, I didn't experience any problems when testing Adblock Plus alongside other add-ons like Adblock Plus Pop-up Addon, Avast! Online Security, Ghostery and NoScript.

I can't reproduce this issue, and others with the same problem didn't provide any information to determine what the common cause is. Therefore, unless something new turns up, I have nothing left to add on this topic.
kmssd

Post by kmssd »

I couldn't find anything new to add, so I found a work around for others we the same problem. I reverted back to ABP version 2.4 and all is good.