AdBlock Plus removes the additional toolbar it was moved on

Posting here is no longer possible, please use the corresponding product forum.
Hönö

AdBlock Plus removes the additional toolbar it was moved on

Post by Hönö »

Nearly every time I start up Firefox, I see extension icons, and a whole tool bar (a toolbar I have added) missing. This has been going on for quite a while, and I was expecting someone else to complain about it and get it fixed. Now I installed one more extension, one that I want to stay visible in the added toolbar all the times. The new extension makes it impossible for me to tolerate the dropping-off of icons, and having to restore them over and over again.

All icons that go missing are icons I have placed on my additional toolbar, and I also have moved AdBlock Plus icon to the same additional toolbar. So what I suspect is that for some reason I cannot fathom, AdBlock Plus does not want to be moved to an added toolbar. This I regard a very bad design decision.

I have the following reasons to suspect AdBlock Plus is the culprit:

1) A few weeks back, I had to create a new Firefox profile. While I was installing all necessary extensions, everything went fine until I installed AdBlock Plus. At that point, other extension icons disappeared.

2) Whenever the additional toolbar and the icons in it disappear, AdBlock Plus is the only one that stays visible - it moves back to the default position that it took right at installation time.

3) Among the extensions I have installed, AdBlock Plus is the only one that has a proper motive to keep itself visible at all times.

I believe AdBlock Plus checks at startup if its icon is still is visible, and that is all right, but it has no right to remove icons of the other extensions, or to remove the additional toolbar I have. Absolutely no right.

As of the time of writing this, I have the latest version of Firefox ( 2.8 ) and the latest version of AdBolck Plus (2.5.1).
Gingerbread Man

Re: AdBlock Plus removes the additional toolbar it was moved on

Post by Gingerbread Man »

It sounds like this issue.
forum/viewtopic.php?f=11&t=21097

Firefox 29 will be released next week and it won't be possible to create custom toolbars anymore.
Hönö

Post by Hönö »

Sigh. I was pondering whether I should report the bug to Firefox or to AdBlock Plus or both. I suspect Firefox has a general problem with extensions that guard themselves. But taking away the custom toolbars altogether is something I wasn't expecting.
Hönö

Post by Hönö »

Actually, the custom toolbars are not completely gone: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/ho ... ld-firefox
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Yes, they are. In Firefox 29+, you need an add-on to create custom toolbars.
Mc

Post by Mc »

seems it hides all collapsed toolbars, at least in SeaMonkey 2.26 with abp 2.6
Mc

Post by Mc »

Mc wrote:seems it hides all collapsed toolbars, at least in SeaMonkey 2.26 with abp 2.6
and it stops loading message panes in mail window on first start of the window, which stops all further actions, like login.