[Added] reddit.com

Inclusion proposals for "acceptable ads" list are discussed here. New topics cannot be created, constructive comments are welcome, flaming will be removed.

Moderators: greiner, ionyshchenko, Till, r.grygorczuk, ptraykova, Helle, j.mathai

somerandomguy

Re: Adding reddit.com to Acceptable Ads

Post by somerandomguy »

those of us who want ads on reddit have already allowed them
royce77

Post by royce77 »

I say go ahead with allowing ads!! I mean how do you think companies make there money? When i am feeling generous or on some site that is small but I like I turn off ad block and click on ads to help them get money!! I really wouldnt mind a few more ads to support some website, I do enjoy not having to see ads but i still like to support them.

ACCEPT YOUTUBE, Fuck youtube, they have way too many ads and they have millions. Do not let ads be on youtube
MonztA
ABP Developer

Post by MonztA »

Flanders wrote:But, I'm not fine with reddit being included in the defaults. I'm curious what the justification is for that. Why reddit and not gmail; or nothing at all?
Any webmaster who wants his ads whitelisted needs to contact the Adblock Plus guys first.
theredbaron1834

Post by theredbaron1834 »

Ok, I have nothing to do with addblockplus, but I thought I would give the "probable" reason for acceptable being allowed as default, as well as why there is even the option.

First up, as to why. The internet is run on ads. With out ads there is no anything. We would all still being using BBS's that some linux nerds runs in his basement (READ: ME :) ) The only web sites that would be around would be ones you pay for, or those run by said nerds in their free time. Nobody wants that, we "need" our youtube, google, and yes even reddit. However, people started going crazy with ads. Popups, popunders, and the dreaded audio/video ones. Thus Adblock was born. However, the coders of adblock don't want to see the internet die, and as the internet "feeds" on ads some need to get through. However only those ads that are not annoying as all hell. If your ads play nice, then can come in, ect.

Now, as to why it is default. Simply put, not many people change their default settings unless something is wrong. If they had it off by default, almost nobody would use it. As I almost never even go into the settings, why would Jane Doe go there to even see that there is an "acceptable ads"' option. However, if they start seeing ads they don't like, they will go into the settings to see what is up, see that option, and turn it off if they want it off. It's that simple.

As to if reddit should have it added to the acceptable list: I don't see why not. They have been very good with their ads, at least for me. Plus, they get loads of traffic, alot of which I am sure use Adblock Plus. So, yeah, through some money their way, as it were. It really isn't that hard to reblock, if they start getting annoying.

As for the people freaking out over "acceptable ads", I say grow up. You are, in all likelihood, using firefox. Firefox would "not" exist without ads. A significant portion of the money used to fund firefox is brought to them by their tie in with google, who is paid in ads. The same could be said for any other Windows browser too, except for IE. If you think ads are bad on firefox with acceptable ads, well, try IE. Either that, or get your Lynx's on. Ad's are a way of life. Don't like the acceptable ads, then turn it off. Or go to one of the many forks. Doesn't matter, to the great majority of people who use Adblock Plus this is, maybe not a "great" thing, it is a step in the right direction. Might help lead to a better use of ads all round, even on devices that can't use adblock plus.

TLDR version: Internet runs on ads, people don't change settings, let acceptable ads as default. Reddit is acceptable. People need to grow up.
caxaar

Post by caxaar »

DSPROX wrote:You know why I use adblock plus?

SO I DON'T HAVE TO SEE ANY FUCKING ADS.

Make "acceptable ads" default and you can guarantee I will NEVER be using Adblock Plus again, I'll fucking trash talk it all up and down the internet until it's dead completely.

Don't fuck up what makes Adblock Plus so great, which is NO FUCKING ADS.
You sound like a child.
Flanders

Post by Flanders »

MonztA wrote:Any webmaster who wants his ads whitelisted needs to contact the Adblock Plus guys first.
I'm trying to figure out why you are having defaults in the first place. I do not agree with the premise used in the following proposition quoted from http://adblockplus.org/en/acceptable-ads#default
If we ask users to enable this feature then most of them won't do it — simply because they never change any settings unless absolutely necessary.
I assert that people will change their settings if the end result outweighs the cost of changing them. The cost is not particularly great. It took me about 15 seconds to figure out how the options screen worked and it's even more simple from the add-on bar. If people aren't configuring abp to permit adds on particular websites, it's because they don't really care that much.

Furthermore, the purpose of abp is to block ads. The criteria for "acceptable ads" is completely contrived and they reflect the opinions of a set of people who, I suspect feel that websites must be profitable for users to run them and that advertisements are the only way that this can happen and, therefore, we must bend over. A set of people who are a strict subset of the set of people who use abp.

I hope that, if this change is introduced, it's introduced into a fork called AdmaybeblockPlus, to refrain from bothering the purists.
Ekelon

Post by Ekelon »

"If we ask users to enable this feature then most of them won't do it — simply because they never change any settings unless absolutely necessary."

They especially probably don't change a setting on something called Adblock to allow ads.

This makes the extension go from "working" to "works sometimes."

Again, perhaps this can be forked to two extensions: "Adblock" and "Adblock Except the Ads we Pick."

If you are really interested in what your users think, do that and then watch to see how many of each get downloaded. Anyway, for whatever it's worth, I vote no on whitelisting anything by default. Perhaps Reddit can come up with their own to allow people who want to see Reddit ads to see Reddit ads. Personally, I don't and if this allows it I'll just move on to something else that functions as...

advertised.
username1234567

Post by username1234567 »

How about this:
Add a notification feature (wherein the Adblock icon changes color) that notifies user when they are on a site that the community has determined to use ads that are not intrusive, and the site relies heavily on ad revenue. Then let the user decide if they want to add the site to the whitelist?

Also have a pull-down menu where the user can reverse his/her decision along the lines of how NoScript presents the user blocking/unblocking options.

Create a user-review based community similar to McAfee site adviser reviews.

AdBlock community indicates Reddit employs ads which are not intrusive. If you like the site, consider adding them to your white list.
--Reddit.com is currently filtered.
-Add to whitelist
(-Remove from whitelist (if added))
hadesflames

Post by hadesflames »

You guys are all retarded. If you want to block ALL ads, then turn the feature off and shut the fuck up.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

hadesflames wrote:You guys are all retarded. If you want to block ALL ads, then turn the feature off and shut the fuck up.
Indeed, the hurr is strong with this thread, as with all threads about the Acceptable Ads initiative.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
DJ8s7

Post by DJ8s7 »

Pretty sure if we didn't want to block ads we wouldn't be running adblock. If the hurr is strong with all threads associated with acceptable ads on a utility called adblock, perhaps the problem has something to do with the fact that it's called adblock. My guess is that this is payola
hadesflames

Post by hadesflames »

DJ8s7 wrote:Pretty sure if we didn't want to block ads we wouldn't be running adblock. If the hurr is strong with all threads associated with acceptable ads on a utility called adblock, perhaps the problem has something to do with the fact that it's called adblock. My guess is that this is payola
They're not forcing the feature on you! Just turn it off! You fail to see it from the point of view of a small website trying to make enough cash to pay for the hosting bill. You enjoy their website for free, but someone needs to pay right? Don't you think that website should be rewarded for not bombarding you with annoying pop ups and intrusive adds? No of course not, because you're an ass hole.
tommy14

Post by tommy14 »

For sure they are forcing it....are u blind?

The only true thing in the description is, that the normal user use only standart settings and with that, this people see the ads / companies how are paying money to AdBlock for putting them on this list, as simple as that.
Till
ABP CEO

Post by Till »

Everybody, thanks for the contribution! However, this thread is not meant as a discussion about Acceptable Ads in general, please raise those concerns in this discussion. Here we just want the community to confirm or reject the proposal to add reddit.com to the whitelist based on the fact if the criteria are met.
gamblA22

Post by gamblA22 »

Agree with Till. The discussion here should stick to the initial question: Do we regard reddit.com's ads as acceptable according to the well-defined criteria from the community?
My opinion: I think reddit's text ads (sponsored links) are fully in line with the criteria of acceptable ads. They should be rewarded for their approach.