Proposal to improve Acceptable Ads criteria

Inclusion proposals for "acceptable ads" list are discussed here. New topics cannot be created, constructive comments are welcome, flaming will be removed.

Moderators: greiner, ionyshchenko, Till, r.grygorczuk, ptraykova, Helle, j.mathai

lewisje

Re: Proposal to improve Acceptable Ads criteria

Post by lewisje »

The Acceptable Ads initiative isn't for power-users like us who will go to great lengths that undesirable content gets blocked, it's for the unwashed masses who just set and forget and don't give a shit; if all ABP users have annoying Flash ads, popunders, and intellitxt ads blocked, while only the vigilant users have static image/text ads blocked too, that provides more incentive for ad-providers to pick less-intrusive ad formats and less incentive for ad-dependent content-providers to put up paywalls or just give up entirely.

We'll need to live with the fact that our heavy-handed usage of ABP is something that would be totally unsustainable if a substantial portion of Web users did it.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Rachel

Post by Rachel »

Any ad which uses too many resources of any kind should be blacklisted by default. I signed up for this not because I can't live with ads in general but because I did not want to have to constantly tell my browser to stop the script on certain ads. The other ads are a bonus I guess.
Con

Post by Con »

This change is exactly why someone needs to come out with a new app that avoids ads. I will gladly remove adblock plus since it no longer avoids ads. Those unobtrusive ads are extremely annoying. You guys had the best app ever and you completely ruined it with the new update. how about giving US the choice on whether or now we wish to see unobtrusive ads??? If someone supports it then let them see all the ads they wish. But those of us who downloaded your product for a specific purpose as in "to block ALL ads" now have to deal with ads everywhere. It's just like not having adblock plus installed at all. Imagine that!
Con

Post by Con »

Con wrote:This change is exactly why someone needs to come out with a new app that avoids ads. I will gladly remove adblock plus since it no longer avoids ads. Those unobtrusive ads are extremely annoying. You guys had the best app ever and you completely ruined it with the new update. how about giving US the choice on whether or now we wish to see unobtrusive ads??? If someone supports it then let them see all the ads they wish. But those of us who downloaded your product for a specific purpose as in "to block ALL ads" now have to deal with ads everywhere. It's just like not having adblock plus installed at all. Imagine that!
Also, just so you know, the "block all ads" tab on phones does absolutely nothing when you uncheck "acceptable ads". I have a samsung galaxy III and an LG motion that both are experiencing the same exact issue. So you can't say it's probably my particular phone.
Sorian

Post by Sorian »

Adblock has gotten out of hand. I just discovered it was blocking Facebook and other social media buttons as well as perfectly unobtrusive text based advertising links.
I've been using Adblock for years, but have now stopped using the easy list.
In fact, I've just turned off Adblock all together.

Easy list should not be the default, as I'm sure there are millions of users out there who are wondering why they can't see any Facebook buttons, and don't understand that it is due to Adblock.

Furthermore, by blocking text based ads that appear in the corpus of a web page, Adblock will be either making sentences incomprehensible by removing key words (if this is what happens), or making them seem stupid if the text says something like Click this link to buy Christmas cards for charity , but there is no link to follow....
It's dumb.
Let's not have Adblock padering to the recriminations of the anti-advertising fundamentalists and the anti-ads taliban.
Ads are a vital feature of a good part of the Internet, whether we like them or not.
The only ones I want to block are those from disruptive and invasive ad networks
greiner
ABP Developer

Post by greiner »

Sorian wrote:I just discovered it was blocking Facebook and other social media buttons [...] Easy list should not be the default, as I'm sure there are millions of users out there who are wondering why they can't see any Facebook buttons, and don't understand that it is due to Adblock.
EasyList is not blocking social media buttons. Maybe you've opted-in to the "Remove Social Media Buttons" feature on our first-run page?! Anyway, blocking social media buttons is not something that Adblock Plus does by default.
Sorian wrote:as well as perfectly unobtrusive text based advertising links.
Technically, it's not possible to unblock all ads all over the web that are acceptable. The Acceptable Ads whitelist is still growing. If you've encountered an ad that is acceptable you can ask the site owner to apply for the whitelisting.
Sorian wrote:Furthermore, by blocking text based ads that appear in the corpus of a web page, Adblock will be either making sentences incomprehensible by removing key words (if this is what happens), or making them seem stupid if the text says something like Click this link to buy Christmas cards for charity , but there is no link to follow....
We do not remove any parts of the content. If you see parts of the content being blocked please report this as a false positive and one of the filter authors will fix it.
skysam

Post by skysam »

Truman wrote:When a text link is subtle and embedded well into content it doesn't hold the same form of 'advertising' like a skyscraper does. Image based banners change the user experience and add a level of annoyance to a page. They can change the formatting and layout.

Text ads that are embedded and which look identical to a standard link can add to the user experience.
I don't think the difference is so great. When a text is embedded and subtle, this doesn't mean that is changing the nature of the text any less, just that you are less aware of it.

Post by 24601 »

You guys are aware that there is an option present to disable the "acceptable ads" if you really want to. The developer has only made this the default option because most users don't change their settings unless they find something cool, or they get annoyed. Also if the majority of users are viewing certain types of ads then other developers might begin making better ads.
Adblock Plus is not really changing, its just got a new feature that you can use if you want to
datorn

Post by datorn »

Hi guys, thanks for your work!
A little request, can you please make this link http://screencast.com/t/cMaqOX7y6 in context menu an optional?
I'm web developer and this last link is uncomfortably to me because i often use firebug link and remove your link from the menu (or change an order) is not possible
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

datorn wrote:Hi guys, thanks for your work!
A little request, can you please make this link http://screencast.com/t/cMaqOX7y6 in context menu an optional?
I'm web developer and this last link is uncomfortably to me because i often use firebug link and remove your link from the menu (or change an order) is not possible
Open a bug report, or at least post the request in the proper forum.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
mapx

google ads

Post by mapx »

Communicationcrafts

Post by Communicationcrafts »

if the ads are funny or entertaining people are more willing to look at them. And Ads should me meaningful for people.
Nerketur

Post by Nerketur »

First of all, I like the proposal. However, seeing links all over the page can still be annoying, especially like in skimwords/skimlinks linking the same text over and over again. I'm fine with allowing the Ad links if they are LESS obvious than normal links, but not the same. If they were the same what if a legitimate link is right next to an ad link? I personally don't really like ad links in text, but if they were, say, links that didn't look like links until you hover over them, then I'd like them more. Like maybe the link is faint until you hover, then it looks like a normal link. That's just my two cents. And that way it doesn't ruin the content or look distracting from author content.
Christine60

Post by Christine60 »

That's great,i support !!!
GentleRV

Post by GentleRV »

I can accept text formatted, clearly visible, advertisements on the right hand of the page.
Search content, on the left of a page must contain only the relevant information without the adds.
I know it a job from Google and others but would like that adblock make the change to force the advertise companies to comply on that.
Only then it will be automatically a good attitude towards the searchers and advertisers.
The list on the right hand side is not annoying and can contribute in finding the right suppliers.