[Added] Taboola ads

Inclusion proposals for "acceptable ads" list are discussed here. New topics cannot be created, constructive comments are welcome, flaming will be removed.

Moderators: greiner, ionyshchenko, Till, r.grygorczuk, ptraykova, Helle, j.mathai

keith99

Re: [Added] Taboola ads

Post by keith99 »

So much for the regular monitoring system, i regularly find violations, another one here:

http://elitedaily.com/dating/12-charact ... er-let-go/

I quote: "Every entity on the whitelist - paying participant or non-paying participant - MUST maintain the same strict criteria that our users accepted as part of the Acceptable Ads initiative. We will never accept any ad that doesn't meet these criteria. There is no way to buy a spot on the Acceptable Ads exception list"

I am seeing differently!
ManuelC

Post by ManuelC »

keith99 wrote:So much for the regular monitoring system, i regularly find violations, another one here:

http://elitedaily.com/dating/12-charact ... er-let-go/

I quote: "Every entity on the whitelist - paying participant or non-paying participant - MUST maintain the same strict criteria that our users accepted as part of the Acceptable Ads initiative. We will never accept any ad that doesn't meet these criteria. There is no way to buy a spot on the Acceptable Ads exception list"

I am seeing differently!
These and other examples are being collected to report them to Taboola, so they can fix them and adapt them to the Acceptable Ads criteria. For clarification: These ads should not have been served in the first place and they were not consciously whitelisted in the way they look now -which, as you said, clearly violates the criteria.
keith99

Post by keith99 »

Thanks for the prompt response.

Surely Taboola should be removed from the acceptable ads program? This certaintly isnt their first violation and i am sure it wont be their last. Their ads are simply NOT acceptable!
keith99

Post by keith99 »

Also i reported 247wallst.com on the 8th October, some 3 weeks ago. You told me this was being sorted, no action has been taken- 100% of the page is ads!

Why has this not been sorted?
keith99

Post by keith99 »

Can i get a reply to this please? I would have assumed all breaches would be taken very seriously, not simply ignored when paying ad networks are reported.
ManuelC

Post by ManuelC »

keith99 wrote:Also i reported 247wallst.com on the 8th October, some 3 weeks ago. You told me this was being sorted, no action has been taken- 100% of the page is ads!

Hi, as per our process, any website has 30 working days to fix whatever issues are spotted. This grace period would expire around November 15th in this case.

Anyway, just to make it clear once again: Taboola ads on 247wallst.com were never whitelisted. They are showing due to the following unblocking rule:

Code: Select all

@@||media.net^$third-party
which unfortunately is letting them through by mistake. We will disable that filter ASAP until this issue is fixed.

Thanks.
ManuelC

Post by ManuelC »

innerself wrote:
keith99 wrote:Also i reported 247wallst.com on the 8th October, some 3 weeks ago. You told me this was being sorted, no action has been taken- 100% of the page is ads!

Hi, as per our process, any website has 30 working days to fix whatever issues are spotted. This grace period would expire around November 15th in this case.

Anyway, just to make it clear once again: Taboola ads on 247wallst.com were never whitelisted. They are showing due to the following unblocking rule:

Code: Select all

@@||media.net^$third-party
which unfortunately is letting them through by mistake. We will disable that filter ASAP until this issue is fixed.

Thanks.
Fixed: https://hg.adblockplus.org/exceptionrul ... 194a85ba99
keith99

Post by keith99 »

Take a look at nationalreview.com please, another one that has "slipped" through the net it seems!

Taboola taking a good 80% of all article pages over with ads.

http://postimg.org/image/b3b6uplvx/
shabie

Post by shabie »

keith99 wrote:Take a look at nationalreview.com please, another one that has "slipped" through the net it seems!

Taboola taking a good 80% of all article pages over with ads.

http://postimg.org/image/b3b6uplvx/
Thanks a lot for bringing this to our attention. As always, we've taken care of it :)
usernameL

Post by usernameL »

I registered just to let you know that allowing ANY Taboola ads specifically caused me to uncheck the "allow acceptable ads" checkbox. And I won't change that back until Taboola is removed from that list IN IT'S ENTIRETY. Should you remove the checkbox I will find another adblocker as you are not the only one.

It's like an alarm service that adds a keypad code just for one of the biggest known thieves in the city so that that thief can steal from all their customers. Though I suppose you get a cut of his take so that makes it OK in your book.
digitalmarketeer

Post by digitalmarketeer »

I don't understand, why Taboola could be whitelisted (except they pay a huge amount of money). They have fake content and thats quite intrusive, I think.
I understand that each person has a different level of what might be acceptable or not but I will disable withelisting in our company until Taboola is on that list.
ManuelC

Post by ManuelC »

digitalmarketeer wrote:I don't understand, why Taboola could be whitelisted (except they pay a huge amount of money). They have fake content and thats quite intrusive, I think.
I understand that each person has a different level of what might be acceptable or not but I will disable withelisting in our company until Taboola is on that list.
Hi, let me quote myself:
Taboola developed and implemented a capability to ensure that you see higher quality images going forward. This should result in improvement of the sponsored content you see on any given page of a website from our partner. If you have further complaints please send us the site name and screenshot and we will do our best to continue to improve your experience.
Taboola is actively filtering out bad images and ads to make sure they comply with our standards of high quality ads, unobtrusiveness and relevance. Again, should you be aware of potential too-attention-grabbing images or any other valid concerns, please let us now in this thread.

Thanks.
markb

Post by markb »

innerself wrote:Taboola is actively filtering out bad images and ads to make sure they comply with our standards of high quality ads, unobtrusiveness and relevance. Again, should you be aware of potential too-attention-grabbing images or any other valid concerns, please let us now in this thread.
I found this thread in my quest to find out why I was seeing these highly annoying, extremely deceptive Taboola ads, and what I'm reading is quite shocking! It certainly appears that Taboola is not and never has filtered out bad ads. Earlier in this thread you said they would have until November 15th to fix their issues. Well, they didn't! So what gives?
ManuelC

Post by ManuelC »

markb wrote:
innerself wrote:Taboola is actively filtering out bad images and ads to make sure they comply with our standards of high quality ads, unobtrusiveness and relevance. Again, should you be aware of potential too-attention-grabbing images or any other valid concerns, please let us now in this thread.
I found this thread in my quest to find out why I was seeing these highly annoying, extremely deceptive Taboola ads, and what I'm reading is quite shocking! It certainly appears that Taboola is not and never has filtered out bad ads. Earlier in this thread you said they would have until November 15th to fix their issues. Well, they didn't! So what gives?
Hi markb, thanks for raising up your concerns. As I stated before, ABP users are being served Taboola ads that were previously filtered and rated as 'not attention grabbing' and relevant to the content they are served along. Shouldn't that be the case in the pages you found, please let us know by submitting a link so we can reproduce them and evaluate them against the Acceptable Ads guidelines.

Thanks again.