Suspend Background Tabs conflict with Tab Stats

Discussion related to extensions like Extension Auto-Installer or Google Search link fix.
therube

Suspend Background Tabs conflict with Tab Stats

Post by therube »

On installing SBT, in my regular profile (so with whatever extensions & however it was set up) the first thing I noticed was that

> Suspend Background Tabs breaks links at Planet Mozilla.
> http://planet.mozilla.org/

Links gave no indication (cursor change) that they were links when hovered, & you could not click on them, so no way to open a link.

And it seem to be that way & I could not change it, by changing windows or switching tabs or the like, & I did not want to restart my browser.
And I have not restarted.
(Though at some point, somewhere along the line that issue resolved itself?)

When I first noticed that issue, I created a new profile & installed SBT & loaded planet, & it worked, so then I figured some sort of extension conflict. So I start adding extensions in & restarting & checking planet. And planet is working as expected.

Then I get to Tab Stats.

> Conflict with Tab Stats addon.
> At some point, depending on order of install, browser restart ... Tab Stats will stop working.
> Extreme tab browsing, http://glandium.org/files/tabstats.xpi

And then with the two (SBT & TS, amongst others) installed, other oddities, like a non-restartless extension would install as if were restartless (as in there was no prompt to restart).

> With SBT & TS installed, Copy URL+ installs as if it were restartless, & then does not run, even after a restart.

Code: Select all

No chrome package registered for chrome://copyurlplus/skin/copyurlplus32.png
> If you remove SBT & Copy URL Plus, then reinstall Copy URL Plus, & then install SBT, then Copy URL Plus works.

"Planet" has always been a weird place & if I can duplicate the issue there I'll pop back.

Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:14.0) Gecko/20120511 Firefox/14.0a2 SeaMonkey/2.11a2
therube

Re: Suspend Background Tabs conflict with Tab Stats

Post by therube »

At the time of my original post, I was using tabstats 0.0.2.
I hadn't realized till today, that they put up an 0.0.3 version.
With tabstats 0.0.3, I am no longer seeing the issues mentioned above.

So, WFM.
therube

Post by therube »

I was looking through my extensions today, & noticed that I had SBT disabled.
Realizing, I clicked Enable.
Immediately I noticed that (forum) tabs that I opened as background tabs, when I did "open" them, they were not reacting, they were still "suspended".
I again look though my extensions & see that Tab Stats was still there & was enabled.
Disabled that, but no change. Still tabs opened as background tabs were suspended.

Having read some of the blog posts & some bug reports, figured I'd remove all my restartless extensions (ABP, SBT, & Tab Stats), Quit, restart, then add them back in.

On doing so, initially all appeared OK, everything looked to be working as expected.

But then a short while later, I'm running into the same problem.

Existing tabs, from Session Restore, look to be loading OK (I have browser.sessionstore.max_concurrent_tabs;0).
Tabs opened in the background (most noticeable from forum threads, like here) are opening suspended. Also notice that even keyboard shortcuts & the windows scrollbar are ineffectual. (Mousewheel movements work, as do the browser window menu options - when using the mouse.) A page refresh is needed before it starts reacting normally.

Bug 770669 - Update from classic to bootstrapped extension doesn't update metadata, the extension is treated as a classic extension

Bug 744833 - extensions.bootstrappedAddons gets out of sync when an addon's location changes

Why you should make your next add-on restartless

User agent: Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 6.1; WOW64; rv:15.0) Gecko/20120714 Firefox/15.0a2 SeaMonkey/2.12a2
Build identifier: 20120714013003

Adblock Plus2.1.1true
Auto Copy1.0.1true
ChatZilla0.9.88.2true
Console²0.9a1true
Copy URL +1.3.2true
DOM Inspector2.0.11true
Fetch Text URL1.6.4true
FlashGot1.4.7rc1true
Image Zoom0.4.6.1modtrue
JavaScript Debugger0.9.89true
JSView2.0.8true
Named anchors0.3.2true
NoScript2.4.8rc3true
Nuke Anything Enhanced1.0.2true
SeaMonkey Debug and QA UI1.0pretrue
Suspend background tabs1.0.1true
Tab Stats0.0.3false
therube

Post by therube »

Removed Tab Stats.
Restarted.
Issue persists.

Have to Disable SBT at this point.
(At which point all start working normally again.)

And drag Tab Stats back in, & still OK.

Enable SBT, & problems immediately apparent.
Disable yet again, & normalcy returns.