New extension ?

Discussion related to extensions like Extension Auto-Installer or Google Search link fix.
vinny86

New extension ?

Post by vinny86 »

Hi Wladimir,
Can you please please create a extension that will somehow lengthen the URL of shortened URL's ?
I have heard that most existing solutions use 3rd party servers and need constant updating of the services that they cover.
Is there some other way of approaching this ?

Also, do you have a web page or blog where you can host the non ABP related extensions?
It might be good cos you can announce new extensions or thoughts on stuff... a place where users can pick your brain not related to ABP ? :)
(we can follow your new extensions when you add them)
Wladimir Palant

Re: New extension ?

Post by Wladimir Palant »

I don't think that there is any universal approach to URL unshortening - and to do it an extension needs to request the short URL. I doubt that I want to get into this, also because I'm usually only developing add-ons that I need myself.

Generally, I'm not really sure what to do with the add-ons not related to Adblock Plus. I don't really want to put much effort into them, they are something I wrote up quickly to solve an issue or as an experiment. So for now I am fine with having AMO as the only place where you get information on them. I published a blog post on Extension Auto-installer when I created it because I felt that it is a useful tool for other extension developers - but the other extensions shouldn't be too interesting for the audience of my blog.
vinny86

Re: New extension ?

Post by vinny86 »

Thank You for the explanation and the extensions Wladimir.
Looking forward to more of your experiments.