[SOLVED] Unrecognized certificate -> EasyList dl failure

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Opera
Gingerbread Man

[SOLVED] Unrecognized certificate -> EasyList dl failure

Post by Gingerbread Man »

Trying to access any https://*adblockplus.org pages in Opera results in the following security warning:
The server's certificate chain is incomplete, and the signer(s) are not registered.

The certificate for "StartCom Certification Authority" is signed by the unknown Certificate Authority "StartCom Certificate Authority". It is not possible to verify that this is a valid certificate.
In a nutshell, the Adblock Plus experience on Opera currently goes like this:
  1. Go to en/opera
  2. Understand the security warning and either accept the certificate temporarily or permanently.
  3. Install the extension.
  4. Notice you're automatically subscribed to EasyList, which failed to download.
  5. Try a manual update, which also fails.
  6. Be knowledgeable enough to manually navigate to https://easylist-downloads.adblockplus.org/ and accept the certificate permanently.
  7. You get redirected to https://easylist.adblockplus.org/en/ and you have to deal with yet another certificate warning.
I expected a few rough edges in the Opera version, but these are pretty huge roadblocks.

Is there a list of filter options that aren't supported in Opera? object-subrequest is given as an example, but if I try to enter such a filter, there's no error message. I'd like to know if my filters don't actually do anything.

And most importantly, thank you very much for making the Opera version available.
Last edited by Gingerbread Man on Fri Nov 16, 2012 1:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MonztA
ABP Developer

Re: Unrecognized certificate -> EasyList, EasyPrivacy dl failure

Post by MonztA »

No certificate issue for me here.
lewisje

Post by lewisje »

Methinks Faida, Palant, & Co. need to spend the big bucks for a more widely-recognized certificate.
There's a buzzin' in my brain I really can't explain; I think about it before they make me go to bed.
Gingerbread Man

Post by Gingerbread Man »

MonztA wrote:No certificate issue for me here.
All is well now with the exceptions removed, but don't ask me why. I had tried repeatedly before, and I even tried a fresh profile. Maybe it was just a network glitch — connections to the validation server failing or something.
lewisje wrote:Methinks Faida, Palant, & Co. need to spend the big bucks for a more widely-recognized certificate.
There should be no need.
Wikipedia wrote:[...] the StartSSL certificate is included by default in Mozilla Firefox 2.x and higher, in Apple Mac OS X since version 10.5 (Leopard), all Microsoft operating systems since 24 September 2009, and Opera since 27 July 2010. Since Google Chrome, Apple Safari and Internet Explorer use the certificate store of the operating system, all major browsers include support for StartSSL certificates.