Doesn't work in Opera 12.10 (x86_64)

Everything about using Adblock Plus on Opera
funkinlesson

Re: Doesn't work in Opera 12.10 (x86_64)

Post by funkinlesson »

I tried your link and what played is a cooking video that's 12:22 long. No ad before it. All I'm using is Fanboy's list.

You say you're definitely using the latest version of the extension with the latest version of Opera, so it has to be 1 of 2 things: -

1. Subscribing to multiple lists messes it up. I'm only subscribed to 1 and it works perfectly and hasn't had the issues that version 1.3.2 had with it disabling itself every now and then.

2. Another extension you're using is messing with it. The only other extension I have installed is one called rightIMG, for quickly uploading images to Imgur.
mrfdes

Post by mrfdes »

OK, and thank you for that.
As I said, the fault is intermittent on the cooking videos.
Could you check out this one : http://nieuws.vtm.be/buitenland/2012112 ... zijn-nodig but close and re-open Opera before running it, please.

Thank you.
funkinlesson

Post by funkinlesson »

That one played OK without any ads too. The vid is a news report that's 2:24. I closed and re-opened Opera before watching it. I also tried browsing a few sites and then going back to that video without closing/opening Opera. I also tried closing Opera, running CCleaner to delete temporary Internet files, cookies etc. and going back to that page - every time the vid played without ads.

Have you tried temporarily disabling all other extensions you have installed, if any?

Have you tried just subscribing to the main Fanboy list, rather than subscribing to multiple lists?

At least if you can track down the cause, the developers should be able to fix it, but I have to say that since version 1.3.4 it's worked as advertised for me.
mrfdes

Post by mrfdes »

I watched the VTM news (as in the link I sent previously) after booting up my machine, and there was the ad film before the news.

At the moment, AdBlock Plus is the only extension running, but I will try the other options you mentioned.
Thank you.
mrfdes

Post by mrfdes »

I tried what you said, I restarted Opera, but before that I disabled all filters but FanBoy AdBlock List.
When I ran a fragment from the news, there were the ads in all their glory, but when I checked, all the other filters were enabled again.

I then restarted Opera again, disabled all filters but the main one (see above) and ran the VTM News clip again.
Result: an ad film at the beginning AND end of the clip.

So, not sure now what more I can do.
funkinlesson

Post by funkinlesson »

The only thing you're doing different to me is that you're unchecking the boxes next to the filters to disable them, rather than deleting them.

Here's what I did when I set it up: -

1. I uninstalled the old version (I'd already done this a few days earlier as it wasn't working properly).
2. Installed the new version.
3. Deleted (rather than just unchecking the box next to) the Easylist filter, which was already selected by default.
4. Added the Fanboy filter and hit the button to update it.
5. Unchecked the box under General for "Show icon in address bar".

So as it's not working for you, I would suggest trying those exact steps and seeing what happens then. If it still doesn't work, then I really can't explain it, but hopefully the devs will get to the bottom of it cos when it works, it's great.
mrfdes

Post by mrfdes »

Thank you for all the advice.
I followed your steps exactly as you explained in the post above.

Result: ad film at the beginning of the news clip.

I think the rest is up to the devs now.
Lain_13

Post by Lain_13 »

I think the only major issue left for now is not blocked ads on browser start. When you closing browser with page which contain blocked ads and start it again all ads shows up. They disappear on page refresh.
mrfdes

Post by mrfdes »

I now experienced something even more odd.
On my own website there is a media page, containing some video and soundclips.

Some of the clips are just embedded from Youtube, others (the most recent ones) were uploaded gomy website as .flv files and played using Flowplayer.
The soundclips are MP3 files played with Quicktime.

Everything works in Google Chrome, Firefox and IE, but in Opera, all my clips work for a few seconds and then show a big circle with an exclamation mark on a white background.

I have tried whitelisting my domain, disabling ABP, and then updating manually, after which things worked again for a few seconds.
Also a Flash clock on my site is not showing up.
The funny thing is, I can watch embedded files on other sites with no problem.

You can find my media page at http://www.vlaanderen-flanders.org.uk/media.htm

PS. DO NOT FORGET: to see the problem you have to watch it in Opera.